the mini pill and effectiveness?

im nursing a 3 month old and am on the mini pill, well i have been really good at taking it at the same time everyday. i think only twice i was late taking it ( the next morning) and have only had sex with my husband twice since havin gthe baby, but i havent had a period in a while and have been feeling naeaous lately.. just wondering what your exprience with this pill has been,, is it any less effective than a normal pill?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My midwife told me it is about 97% effective compared to the 99% with the full dose pill, if you take it at the same time everyday. I was on it for over 2 years & never got pregnant (not to say other's haven't gotten pregnant) . Are you nursing? That can also throw off your period.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:32 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I didn't take the mini pill while I was breastfeeding because I know 4 people who got pregnant while on it (one of them 3 times!). If you take it at exactly the same time every day it's a little less effective than a regular pill, but it does a pretty good job. If you don't take it at exactly the same time every day, I'm not sure what the actual effectiveness is, but it does go down. Breastfeeding can delay your period for months (my daughter was seven months old before I had my first period), but it doesn't necessarily prevent ovulation. So, you could be pregnant or just dealing with the fluctuation of hormones from having a baby and breastfeeding. I'd take a pregnancy test if you're really concerned.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 8:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• The mini pill does not prevent you from becoming pregnant...you can still becoming pregnant from having unprotected sex while breastfeeding, because you still can ovulate! There are many MANY women who thought the mini pill would prevent them from becoming pregnant, only to find out months or even weeks after giving birth that they were pregnant again.

I have a friend who's children are 10 1/2 months apart. Yup, she got pregnant a month after having her first baby.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:44 PM on May. 11, 2009