Karate/ Martial Arts classes?

I am thinking of getting myself and my kids involved in some kind of karate or martial arts classes. Between full time jobs, school, homework, and trying to keep the house clean, we have limited time, and as a single mom, I have limited funds. I am wondering if anyone can tell me how often they/their kids go to class and how much they pay per class/month, whatever? I want to get an idea of if we can commit to it, financially and timewise before I get my kids all excited about the possibility.

tropicalmama

Asked by tropicalmama at 7:35 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would google local schools. They are all different in prices, classes and what they offer. Some have private lessons included with the regular class price and some don't
    Anonymous

• Different schools will charge different rates, so call around.

$152/mo for my son's kung fu school, with one private class per week and as many group classes as he wants to take...typically he'll do about two group classes a week. He's also in a program that allows him to take special classes and seminars at no extra cost.

But there are additional costs for gear and weapons as they move up in the ranks...and weapons are required from the blue sash level up. (Sashes at his school start at white, then yellow, green, blue, purple, brown and black.) When you get to board breaking you have to buy the wood. If you compete in tournament (his school does one a year) then there's yet another cost for entries. Your first uniform will be free but as they grow you have to buy new ones.

Again...that's all at his school; your mileage will vary!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:54 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It depends. We went to the rec center and it was $57 a month for 4 classes of 40 minutes each which sounded really good! What they didn't mention was all of the added costs. There were hundreds of dollars worth of things to pay for that I didn't realize. Belt testing, the uniform, they required the uniform to be embroidered, mouth guard, jock guard, the head gear I don't remember what it was called, the competitions not only had charges for my son but for each of us to attend the competition also! That $57 for a month turned into $400 real quick! Make sure to ask upfront ALL of the costs and how often they occur. It was too expensive for us so we switched to sports ball and cooking classes and art classes. All three of those classes cost me $60 a month combined. Much better! Great if you have the money but as a single mom too I'd say its probably a bit costly for you and several children :)
    Anonymous

• Yep, gotta call around. I pay $70 a month for three classes a week for an hour each then 2 private lessons a month.
    Anonymous

• Google the recreation center for the city you live it. Most of the time they offer adult and child karat classes. Usually they are pretty cheap. We live in CA and they run about $36 for 8 classes a month. 1 hour twice a week
    Anonymous