Women in the Democratic Party...do you feel that you are represented fairly in your party?

The question about women in the Republican Party being represented fairly got me to thinking...do women in the Democratic Party feel as though they are represented fairly? I'm not trying to start drama, I really would like to know. So do you feel the women in public office who represent the Democratic Party are really representing who you are and/or what you believe? Why, or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, I don't think either party represents women fairly.
    Anonymous

• I feel that the platform represents me very well. I dont think a specific party member represents me better simply because of their sex either. So many women come from different cultural, religious, economic backgrounds in this country, and I understand and know that a politician is never going to fully be able to represent me, because they aren't me. When I vote, I make sure their core ideology is in line with mine. I do not feel that I can vote for a political party or member simply based on how it affects me personally. I try to vote for the politician who I feel is going to do the most good for the most Americans, even if it means that it might adversely effect myself and my family. I also feel that our two party system is extremely archaic and it continues on a yearly basis to isolate individuals and is becoming less diverse and not representing demographics that it might have represented twenty years ago.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 7:58 PM on May. 11, 2009

• absolutely not - it's hard being a pro-life dem - unfortunately i'm disgusted by everything else the republican party stands for

Anonymous

• I agree with the first poster. I do not think that we are represented fairly, nor do I believe that the average woman in either party represents your 'average" woman in America.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 8:01 PM on May. 11, 2009

• For the love of God, no. Nancy Pelosi is the embodiment of everything wrong with the Democratic Party, male or female, as I cannot decide which she actually is.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 9:14 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I am a woman (well duh if it is cafe MOM) and a democrat. But I do not feel that women and women's issues are adequately represented or that the voices of women are taken into consideration. What the democratic party offers me as a woman certainly appeals to me more than what conservative Republicans seem to offer. The agenda of the democratic party also appeals to me pollitically. So that is how my vote is cast, on the issues I believe are important to me and which canidate best represents that. I would love to see more women in public office, more women as the heads of their companies, and women being paid the same as their male cohorts. Feminism is if about if you believe a woman's worth, in every way, is equal to a man's worth. I believe it is. I would like to see equal representation to help show that women are heard.
    Anonymous

• What CavWife said.

As far as women in the Dem party I can't think of any I'm terribly impressed by, off the top of my head. Certainly don't care for Pelosi.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:48 PM on May. 11, 2009

• OP here, thank you all for your answers. That other question just got me to thinking about what women in the Democratic feel. I don't think that either party really represents the needs of women very well, but at the same time I don't think either party really represents the needs of the average person...period. The average person, male or female, is not being heard by those in Washington, imo. But like CavWife said, it's difficult to meet the needs of such a diverse population. I also agree that the 2 party system is well past it's prime and that's why I'm a Libertarian. Although that party has it's problems as well.

Anonymous