Are you FOR or AGAINST vaccinations? And WHY?

We have been getting our little girl vaccinated and every single time, she is cranky and SCREAMS all day long. We are going to homeschool our daughter, so my husband doesn't want to get our daughter vaccinated. He also said that there's no telling what's in the shots, it could even be a tracking device in there these days. I am swayable...I'm getting her vaccinated, just "because". I mean, half of these vaccinations are for diseases and viruses that are really rare these days, right? And if we're homechooling her, it's not required, but I keep on thinking "what if" we can't afford homechooling when the time comes, or "what if" I don't have time to homeschool....etc etc etc....

Please, what are some good reasons to vaccinate, and some good reasons not to vaccinate?

Please don't get nasty! I just want to know.

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 7:58 PM on May. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• We've decided not to vaccinate, we have issues with a lot of the ingredients used, especially the aborted fetus cells. Also, you do not HAVE to vaccinate in order for your children to attend public school, there are exemptions available. I very strongly believe that this is each family's choice to make, but I definitely feel that looking into the whole story of vaccination is merited before making your choice.

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:11 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Check out some non-vaccine groups here on cafemom. I joined some over a year ago to do research. Some of the groups have excellent documented information!! I am not against vaccinations, but I am against the schedule. We are delaying them until the kids are 2 years and then doing them one at a time.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:04 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I get my DD vaccinated, just to protect her from chicken pox, etc. etc. She has never had any problem with hers, I guess kids react differently to the shots though...I also get her vaccinated because it is required, and I know that I won't be able to homeschool when the time comes...
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 8:04 PM on May. 11, 2009

• YOU need to do your own research and decide based onthat......as far as Im concerned, I do get my DD her shots b/c I have done my research and decided that if she does catch something, I would never forgive myself if I did n't get her vaxed....but that's MY opinion...Im not telling you what to do either way. Just do what you feel is best and don't let people sway you....It's your daughters life that you are dealing with either way....and BTW, schooling is not the reason to make a decision, b/c you can put your kid in school without shots....yes, there are crappy things in shots, but the diseases are crappy too and NO they are not completely eradicated. Mainly b/c of vaxes. anyway, do your OWN research b/c you will get A LOT of people on here telling you why their way is right.
    Anonymous

• Oh, I wanted to add, if you delay there are some vaccinations your child will not have to get because they are necessary only for children under a year old! I can't remember what ones, but the disease is deadly only for infants.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:05 PM on May. 11, 2009

• im for vaccinating..i would much rather my daughter not get all those nasty diseases or sicknesses, homeschooled or not, theres still germs everywhere..and chances are your homeschoold kids are still gonna be around other kids at some point or another...parks, playdates, malls, partys, movies..anywhere and everywhere,,why not do what you can to prevent it, then have to deal with something happening to your child(ren) in the future??
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 8:05 PM on May. 11, 2009

• PP here...and another thing...it's totally normal for her to feel crappy for a day or two after, even have a low grade fever...I just give my DD tylenol a couple hours before and then for the rest of the day every 4-6 hours just to get her past the worst part....
    Anonymous

• I went back & forth on whether or not some vacs cause autism. But I'm mostly skeptical on what's in them & if they're as necessary as the CDC says they are...or if it's just a ploy to get money. I decided to delay his 1st dose of HepB and he's also on an alternative schedule. (2 shots per month versus 4 shots every two months.) I missed an appt. one month & I had to get him caught up, so he got 4. He ended up w/ a bad fever & you could just tell he felt like crap. It was terrible; that never happened w/ him getting 2 shots. So whether or not vacs are bad or not, I'm glad he gets he gets fewer shots at one time. Just think about all the chemicals from shots babies' little bodies have to handle! He'll be 9 mos on the 24th & he'll be finished for his 1st year of shots. He has done well w/ them all do far.

So just do what's right for you! That worked out well for me and my son.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 8:07 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I'm for vaccinations. It is safer to get vaccinated than to not. Yes a lot of the diseases are rare, but if you're not vaccinated, you can get them and possible die. It's not worth it to me.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 8:08 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I did it because I trust my doctor to guide me in the right direction. A lot of times the vaccines protect agains a very nast disease so I'm doing what I can to prevent my daughter from getting it. Some I don't think are that necessary such as chicken pox, but if the research has been done to show that some kids can die from it becuase they get it too young , etc. then whey not protect your child?
    Anonymous