When you go on the airplane with a 3 year old, do you have to put their carseat in the airplane seat, or is that just a choice??

Just wondering I haven't flown with my DD since she was one, then she sat on my lap...Now she is 3 and we are taking a trip in July so I wanted to know what I am supposed to do. THANX!

pamelajqs

Asked by pamelajqs at 8:15 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You don't have to, but I would if I were you. You probably have to take it along to use once you get to your destination, anyways. And those lap belts are WAY too easy for a three year old to figure out how to get off. Believe me, I flew with my son when he was 3. I didn't have a car seat on the way there, only on the way back, but I wish I had taken it along, even though it would have been extra luggage on the way back. It was so much easier. Just in the lap belt, he kept taking it off and wanting to get up and run around. In the car seat, on the way back, he quickly realized that he couldn't go anywhere and settled down to watch cartoons on the seatback TV. So much more peaceful. And easier, especially since I was traveling alone with just him and his 5 month old brother.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 11:23 PM on May. 11, 2009

• You don't have to have a car seat . I don't even know if they let you take them. When I went on vacation. I never used them just checked my carseat in as luggage. It should not count as luggage when you send it. Well I hope you have a great trip
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 8:18 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Nah..you don't have to. I remember traveling when my son was 13 months old and he sat on our lap.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 8:26 PM on May. 11, 2009

• If they have their own seat then you can bring it , but you don't need it. I brought mine for my 2 1/2 year old but it wasn't on the plane, i checked it in with my luggage. I had enough to carry with me. It would have been such a pain.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 8:47 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It's safer if you can use it but not necessary. There's a harness that you can strap on the airline seat, don't remember the name of it though. Basically makes the seat in to a 5 point harness rather than just a lap belt.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:57 PM on May. 11, 2009

• They do not let you take car seats on the plane for safety reasons they are not permitted.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 10:34 AM on May. 12, 2009

• You can check it for free along with your stroller. Car seats are just that... CAR seats to keep your child safe if your CAR crashes. Wouldn't be very effective if the plane crashed....(I know, sorry, knock on wood)
    On the other hand, if you were allowed to take a car seat on the plane, I might do that, bc my 3 yo had trouble looking out the window, and a car seat would have gave him a good view.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 1:04 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Thats 100% untrue. You CAN take car seats on a plane and its a great idea. My four year old is more comfy in his and safe. We were on a very turbulent flight last month and a 2 year old was just strapped in and flew out of the seat and hit her face very hard on the tray infront of her. She was strapped in but they're so little they can wiggle out easily. Take the car seat :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on May. 13, 2009

• By the way. I fly probably 10 times a year. I've seen this happen to other children too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on May. 13, 2009