• In the Spotlight:

What would you do in court?

What would you do if you were asked to tell the truth and swear on the bible, but you are either not a Christian, or a non-believer altogether?
Would you tell the judge you cannot swear on it and be truthful because you are of a different belief or an atheist, or would you swear on it just to get it over with and go home?
Well, that is of course if you are not the defendant.
Does anyone remember when Marlon Brando refused to swear on the bible in a court since he was an atheist?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 8:26 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It really depends what kind of mood im in. If i was bored and tired i would just get on with it. If i had come in with my head held high and defiant then i would refuse to swear on the bible.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 8:28 PM on May. 11, 2009

• baby you need to find god!!! I know that it is your choice. But I had to say it
    Anonymous

• That only happens in movies.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:29 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Id probably go along with it.
    My ability to swear/promise to tell the truth has nothing to do with my hand being on that book. So its just some formality imo that the courts have you go through.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:30 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would have to be honest about it. I need to stand up for my convictions and stand behind my belief that Church and State should be separate.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 8:34 PM on May. 11, 2009

• anonymous baby you need to find god
    there are alot of people out there that do not believe in god so stop telling someone that they need to find god my your own bussiness let her have your own thoughts
    Anonymous

• What only happens in movies?

They always add "so help me god" to the swearing in, and like Amaranth said, my ability to tell the truth is not affected at all by god or the bible. I tell the truth because it's the right thing to do, not because I'm afraid of eternal damnation or because god says to.
    nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 8:35 PM on May. 11, 2009

• well i would tell them that from the get go.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:36 PM on May. 11, 2009

• In my city and many other cities you raise your right hand and say swear to tel the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth...no bible..not help me
    Anonymous

• Well to tell the truth, the last few times I was in court there wasn't a Bible used. It was just raise your right hand, do you swear to tell the truth as best as you know it under the law?
    But if a Bible was used... I don't mind... it is only a book and I do believe in the divine, just differently than some and I know that what I would say would be the truth...to me it's just a gimick when they use a Bible like that.... always has been and always will be...but again each their own and each court is different....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:38 PM on May. 11, 2009