When should I switch to Stage 2 nipples?

I'm using the Playtex drop-in bottles for my 13 week old baby. She does fine with the stage 1 nipples but I have a bunch of stage 2 nipples and I'm just wondering how to know when to start using them.

mama_kayla

Asked by mama_kayla at 8:34 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Like just about everything else, it is not based on age. If your daughter starts sucking so hard that the NIPPLE collapses (not the liner bag), then switch. My daughter never had any problems with stage 1 so we never switched at all.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It should have the recommended age on the packages, go with that.

Anonymous

• When ever she can handle it. My son never went to a stage 2 it was always too fast so he used a stage one all the way until we took the bottle away when he was uhhh 14 mths maybe But anway yea he never could handle the stage 2 so dont be suprised if your daughter dont like it either. But you could try whenever you want and she will tell you if shes ready
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 8:38 PM on May. 11, 2009

• idk, I used 1 and 2 for my son up till he was 2. Yeah, he had a bottle when he was 2.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:41 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I don't like faster flowing nipples unless they need it. For my daughter when shew as about 10 months old or so her nipples started collapsing and she wasn't able to get any milk out. It's just that faster flowing milk makes babies too lazy, they don't get to suck enough because the milk comes out too fast and can allow them to overeat.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:42 PM on May. 11, 2009

• If it starts taking her longer to take her bottle, if she's more gassy than usual, if she starts fussing during feedings and fighting the nipple....that's when you should try the faster flow. It doesn't matter how old she is, it doesn't matter what age is on the package. Babies don't read packages, nor do they over eat. If they do take too much, they spit it back up.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:49 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Babies do overeat. My DD would nurse like a pig and then down a 4oz bottle. She did spit it up but why go through that hassel?
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:50 PM on May. 11, 2009