B/F MOMS: How long does it take your 3 month old baby to nurse?

Sometimes my little girl can empty both breasts in less than 20 minutes. Is that normal? She is gaining weight like she is supposed to, but that just seems really fast to me. Sometimes she only will nurse for 5-10 minutes total! She's having lots of wet and poopy diapers.

snb216

Asked by snb216 at 8:42 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first took ages to nurse, he started out with it being an hour thing, by 6 months he was down to 30 or so minutes, he also has Down Syndrome though, and thus a weaker suck. My current 3 month old is a speed nurser (compared to my first anyway, lol) and has a similar pattern to what you have described.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:46 PM on May. 11, 2009

• When mine hit growth spurts they would nurse so fast.lol It was like they couldn't get it fast enough. It's supply and demand, I'm sure she's fine.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:07 PM on May. 11, 2009

• 5-15 minutes. He's a quick eater or falls asleep, and it's so hard to keep him awake to eat more. So i just feed him more often.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 9:39 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My daughter is 10 weeks, sometimes she eats for 10 minutes, sometimes 40.
    I just go with the flow
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 10:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My daughter is 3 months 3 weeks and it all depends sometimes up to an hour sometimes a quick 10 min snack. But i never nurse from both breast in one sitting. I have a really good supply! I think i could nurse 2 more babies!!
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:53 PM on May. 11, 2009

• You're doing great! stop looking at the clock; it'll only make you nuts.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:27 AM on May. 12, 2009