Breast Feeding Question...

Which is better a manual breast pump or an automatic???
I am a first time mom and I'm unsure which to purchase.
Please advise...

JenLouCecilia

Asked by JenLouCecilia at 8:43 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have a manual and quit using it because it was such a pain to do. I would advice automatic. Much easier and way more convienient!
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 8:45 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It depends on comfort. Everyone's different.

I prefer a manual pump, so that I control the speed and pressure. An automatic was too painful for me. And honestly, I really prefer just to express my milk by hand. I get more out that way, and its not painful.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:45 PM on May. 11, 2009

• his may be true mine was just a cheap one. I only used it to express milk for my sons cereal. Not bottles or anything. So maybe try a manual for comfort. They are cheaper but dont get the cheapest, they SUCK. lol.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 8:56 PM on May. 11, 2009

• OOps THIS may be true.*
    LucasMama08

• I think it depends on your planned usage. I used a manual pump and only pumped for cereal or the occasional bottle. My co-worker used an automatic pump but she pumped exclusively so she could work and BF at the same time. I personally like my Advent manual and plan to use it with this next one (due in Jan) if needed.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:00 PM on May. 11, 2009

• i have an Avent manual too, and i love it. i have tried other manual pumps, and they dont seem to work at all.
    the Avent one says on its packaging that apparently it works as well as an electric.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 9:24 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think pumps suck. I have better luck expressing it by hand. It comes out so much faster!!!
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 9:38 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It depends on what your going to use it for.

If your planning to just pump for the occational bottle or the babies cereal when he's 6 months + than you really only need a hand pump.

If your planning to return to work or school OR your planning to donate breastmilk (VERY AWESOME of you if you take the time) than I would suggest an electric pump.

Remember though that some women don't respond to the pump and hand expressing is often very effective for them.
    Anonymous

• I really like the Medela Swing Automatic Pump that I have, you can control the speed and suction. A manual pump is too much work for me.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 10:14 PM on May. 11, 2009

• i have the automatic lansinoah it is wonderful and so quick!
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:50 PM on May. 11, 2009