Was anyone else told they were slightly anemic while being pregnant?

I am 23 weeks pregnant and the nutritionist said I was slightly anemic and should be getting a prescription next time I see my doctor. Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Anemia is fairly common, and even more common in pregnancy.

Its no biggie...they'll probably just prescribe you some iron pills or recommend you up your iron intake from food.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:46 PM on May. 11, 2009

• just means your iron is a little low and you will probably get a prescription for iron from the doc. if you don't you may want to mention to them that its low so they can double check and give you one. i am preg now and just got put on iron about 2 months ago (37 weeks preg now) and was on iron with my first as well. if you have been over tired or slightly pale lately you'll notice that change after you start on the iron. it won't be harmful to you or the baby since it was caught now. but just make sure between now and getting the prescription you are hydrated outside, and sit down if you get dizzy or over heated, those were the main problems i had before going on iron
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:48 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Don't worry there gonna have you take iron pills. You and the baby are fine. Congrats on the LO.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:51 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I wanted to add that anemia CAN be a problem if it gets TOO low. I was so anemic and lost so much blood during my emergency C-section with my DD that they thought I was going to need a transfusion. I was so pale my doctor almost didn't recognize me!

But the chances of it getting that low without it being caught first are very slim.

The prenatals I take have extra iron because I'm anemic as is, but pregnancy makes it worse.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:52 PM on May. 11, 2009

• You shouldn't be worried, they'll most likely give you iorn pills. I'm anemic without being pregnat, and was fine as where both my babies when they where born.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 5:26 AM on May. 12, 2009