Extended rear facing-car seat question

My son is 26 months and 27 pounds. He coould be rear facing a bit longer but when he's rear facing he manages to wiggle the straps off of his shoulder. Any suggestions to prevent him from doing this? I would like him RF for another 8 pounds but if I can't stop this, I won't. I turned him forward last time we were in the car and he doesn't do it. Suggestions? The straps are tight enough and the chest clip is in the right place.

Please don't answer if you don't agree with extended RF. I want what is safest for my son.

Pauline3283

Asked by Pauline3283 at 8:51 PM on May. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think you may want to turn him around to front facing. If thats happening only when hes rear facing then you may want to do it now. Thats what i would do.
    Anonymous

• Are you sure that you have everything properly adjusted?

He should not have enough room in the straps to wiggle out. For rear facing, you should use the slots just below his shoulders.  You should also only be able to slip 2 fingers between him and the straps.

Anonymous

• " For rear facing, you should use the slots just below his shoulders. "

Thank you! I will check that and readjust.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:12 PM on May. 11, 2009

• He may be pulling the chest clip down to get the straps off his shoulders. If that's the case, you can put a little strip of rough velcro on the clip. Rough side out. Most kids hate the feel of that stuff and will leave it alone. And if you turn him forward, after he gets used to the novelty of that, he'll probably start doing it again, so that probably won't help. Although I only hope that my son can stay rear facing for as long as yours already has. He's 32 lbs. at 18 months.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 10:46 PM on May. 11, 2009

• He is pulling down the clip. It ends up by his tummy if the ride is long enough. I just bought some velcro so I will try that idea as well. Thanks!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:35 PM on May. 11, 2009

• mi not sure how to majke it stay up in having that problem with jack ni his carseat of always taking the middle buckle chest thingy off!! gl hun i hope you figure it out! im also erf!!i kept jack rear facing till about 2 and half or so and ali will probably be about the same.
    mommyto3bees

Answer by mommyto3bees at 8:23 AM on May. 12, 2009