my 12 months old makes this high pitched screeching noise anytime he isn't getting what he wants...

any ideas on how I can figure out a good way to deal with it? the noise is making me crazy but I don't want to spank him for it.

meghodges5

Asked by meghodges5 at 8:51 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is going to be two this month and when she doesn't get what she wants she starts to go into a temper tantrum and will scream at the top of her lungs. Usually, I'll try yell over her to get her attention and if that doesn't work I put my hand over her mouth (being careful not to cover her nose) until she stops. Maybe putting something that he doesn't like the taste of on his tongue when he starts doing that?
    jvann1

Answer by jvann1 at 8:59 PM on May. 11, 2009

• ignore him when he makes the noise he is looking for attention
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:12 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My son does it too. He's 14 months and usually its if I put him down he thinks he has to be held. If his daddy is around he puts him in his crib and lets him cry it out. He normally falls asleep. I hate it but I don't know what else to do either. Covering his mouth makes him more upset and ignoring him doesn't help me cause then he just hangs on my leg crying. Good Luck.
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 10:05 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Both of my kids went through a phase like that. I simply walked them to their room and closed the door until they stopped screaming, then let them out. They got the picture pretty quick, since they didn't get the attention they were wanting (and they also got the picture they weren't going to get what they wanted and I said no to.)
    You have to be really, really consistent and never back down.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:24 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My 6 1/2 month old does this just because he learned how to do it and loves to make noise, he doesn't do it because he's mad or doesn't get what he wants, he does it at the most random times, like when our puppy comes up to him. Did your baby start doing it young and when he was just excited?
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 11:02 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Although I love "debra benge's" answer, (so I would definitely try it!) it sounds so awesome in theory, my temperment and my child's temperment didn't work with this solution, as it spawned tantrums that would at times last over an hour, and I couldnt' deal with that. Ignoring my DS also proved that he has a stubborn streak that long outlasts (>30-60 minutes) my will, lol.

I relentlessly worked with my child on signing and words. Always saying "use your words, use your words" and helping him communicate in a more efficient manner. Over weeks to months it did get bettter.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 11:19 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My son just turned a year a couple of days ago, and he does the same, so far the tantrum has only lasted maybe 10 minutes, but I try to offer him a different solution to his request. Most of the time this works, when I first started this with him he was reluctant, but after a little while, its easier on the both of us. Now, he'll only fuss about it for about 3-5 minutes, and he'll find something else to preoccupy himself. Good luck!!
    cincodemayomom

Answer by cincodemayomom at 3:56 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Ignore it! Good luck :)
    Mandarina23

Answer by Mandarina23 at 2:09 PM on May. 12, 2009