Induction question

What exactly is worse about labor if you're induced? I've read all kinds of stuff... I do understand there's an increased risk of needing a c-section. If you are lucky enough to avoid that is labor still a lot worse? What about it is worse? There's a possibility that I will be induced at 41 weeks...
Thanks!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 9:01 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was induced and I didn't think it was that bad. It happened real fast for me though. I had to be at the hospital at 5am, started getting the meds around 7am got the first dose of pain meds between 9 and 10 got my epidural at 1:30pm and my son was born at 2:56. It happened so fast, and he came down the birth canal so fast his little face was swollen and bruised. My epidural didn't work right so pushing him out was the worst!! Good luck and congratulations momma!!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 9:04 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Laboring is worse.

The contractions are much more painful right off than if you progress naturally. I was induced with my first DD with Pitocin, and the contractions started off very strong...my body wasn't in labor before, so it hadn't had a chance to build its tolerance up.
    With my second DD, I was in back labor, so my contractions were more painful than regular ones, but I felt more in control because I was in early labor for about a day or two prior to that, so my body had a chance to build up tolerance to the pain.

I will never EVER be induced again. EVER.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:06 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I didn't have any problems being induced. I was induced with my first child and my second child came on her own. i felt no difference. i had an epidural after a few hours of labor with both. the contractions hurt just as bad as. there is only a slight risk of a c-section. i asked my doctor to only give me a small dose of pitocin and then break my water. i did not want to have a lot of pitocin because i was told it made your contractions more intense and closer together. so he allowed me to do what i wanted.
    also i would suggest getting an epidural just because it makes labor and delivery much easier and enjoyable. I was in so much pain I couldn't enjoy anything about my labor. I wanted to be lucid and pain free when my son and daughter came into the world. and I do not regret getting the epidural
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:07 PM on May. 11, 2009

• please go to Yutube and watch the video "the business of being born here' you can do it now and be in bed in a timely fashion :)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:15 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My labors have to be inductions, so I have nothing to compare it to, but mine weren't bad. Inductions are usually longer labors. Mine were almost 2 days each, BUT mine were both before their due dates, so that was a factor. Some people say they're more painful or that there's no break between the contractions, although my labors weren't very painful.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:20 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I was induced and while I could give you the little speach about being at more risk for a c-section I'll just tell you what happened to me. I'm not trying to scare you so please don't think that BUT women NEED to be more informed!!!

My uterus hyperstimulated from the drugs causing contractions that became to strong. I bled out, required multi blood transfusions, almost lost my life because I lost so much blood and terrible uterine scaring that makes getting pregnant and carrying a child difficult.

It was the most horrific experience of my life.

Were the contractions more painful than natural contractions? Yes but that's the least of what you need to worry about.

PLEASE do some research on this and ONLY consent if there is a REAL medical reason. (FYI-being over due and big babies are not reasons for inductions but are often excuses doctors will give)

Why are they wanting to induce?
    Anonymous

• Continued from above...

If there IS a reason (calcifying placenta, extremely low fluids that can not be brought back up after both oral and IV liquids) to induce try natural labor induction methods.

If you want to know about SAFE labor induction methods, let me know and I will PM the list my doula gave to me to you. :)
    Anonymous

• Risks:

C-Section risk is increased to 12-33% percent depending on how ready your body is, where your deliverying and how patient your doctor is.

Hyperstimulation of the uterus

Hemmoraghing

Baby going into destress from stronger contractions

As far as what's worse? The pain, the recovery can be worse depending on what interventions you have, you are often made to stay in bed, you are not in charge of your delivery because the instant you try to be they tell you the baby is in danger even though several studies have shown that baby often isn't in distress and honestly your birthing experience will be in someone elses hands.

I would reconsider and if you need to be induced I would suggest natural methods like the PP did.
    Anonymous

• Hey I want to know natural inductions ways too. I'm only 11 weeks, but those no harm in knowing. Please PM with it. I don't know how to get a hold of you since your Anon.
    heathertilton08

Answer by heathertilton08 at 9:34 PM on May. 11, 2009

• the pitocin makes the contractions abnormally strong. So you'll have to get a epidural because the contractions are abnormally strong. Then the epidural may slow down the whole labor and you'll have to get more pitocin. It's a vicious and unneeded cycle that is dangerous too. I would try 2 oz of castor oil. That did the trick for me. Or try the pressure points. I would avoid pitocin induction at all costs.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 9:35 PM on May. 11, 2009