My toddler refuses to sleep...MAJOR SEPARATION ANXIETY!

Help! My 18 month old little girl was sleeping perfectly fine, up until a few days ago. She went to her grandma's house one night, and now refuses to sleep. She's literally been staying up until 12 am, when her normal bed time is 7:30. I've tried rocking her, laying with her, letting her cry, and nothing works. She just wants to be awake and playing with me, specifically.

laurajo84

Asked by laurajo84 at 9:06 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At a guess, I'd say the grandma let her get WAY overtired. Now that her body is flooded with adrenaline, she can't relax and rest. I'd try a longer, quieter bedtime routine for a few days (an extra story or two, dim lights) and an extra early bedtime - at least an hour early.

Also consider getting her a guardian stuffed animal. Someone who's job it is to watch for monsters and chase them away. My daughter started to be afraid of noises and shapes in the dark about this time. Having a special stuffed animal to chase bad things away helped a lot.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:11 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Put her in her bed and tell her you are not going anywhere and just keep going in there every half hour. She will fall asleep and if it's 12 am then it will get earlier in a few nights.
    Anonymous