Opinions on used breast pumps?

spbeta

Asked by spbeta at 9:06 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Check out Are Used Breast Pumps a Good Option? Issues to Consider

The majority of pumps are designed to be used by one person and cannot be sterilized.  Also, even the more expensive pumps are designed to be used for and work well for about a year, so an older pump may not work as well.

Most purchase pumps, for example Medela’s Pump In Styles, DoubleEase, and MiniElectric, are “open systems.” This means that the pump motor is “open” to contact with the mother’s milk particles. This means that an invisible mist of milk particles can travel from the shield into the tubing and back onto the pump diaphragm. The diaphragm cannot be removed or sterilized, so it cannot be cleaned well enough between mothers to insure safety."

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:58 PM on May. 11, 2009

• as long as you disinfect all the parts on the pump then there is no problem with using a used one. i did. and then I cleaned it good and sold it in a yard sale for $20.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:08 PM on May. 11, 2009

• used should not matter all the parts for milk passage are new all you are recycling (so to say) is the machine pump itself... thats what youd get in a hospital..
    that said though look into this- renting a HOSPITAL GRADE BP from a surgical supply store THEY ARE SOOO MUCH BETTER then even a Medella and I have the top of the line medella but that rent a hospital grade is FAR BETTER!
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:12 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Well there are several things you have to look at...

#1- Is it a pump where the milk ONLY touches the plastic pieces or does it run through the actual machine? Most pumps such as the Medela Pump In Style only run milk through the plastic pieces and those pieces can be replaced for very cheap.

#2- Do you KNOW the person your planning to get the pump from? For example I would have no problem sharing a pump with my sister because I know that she's STD and disease free but I don't know that I would use a pump that could not have all parts that milk touched replaced.

#3- Is it a hospital grade pump that your renting? Theses pumps are sterilized in an autoclave just like surgical equipment that is used in hospitals everyday and are completely safe to use.

#4-Can you GET the pump your getting sterilized in an autoclave. Many hospitals, doctors offices and lactation consultant offices have autoclaves and are willing to
    Anonymous

• There are some brands of breastpumps that can be re-used and some that CAN'T.

You should do a little research on the brand first. Some can't be reused because all the parts cannot be washed and/or sterilized properly. Meaning that you can buy a previously owned breastpump that works fine, but cannot be sterilized, and its still got the previous owner's breastmilk (or rather, traces of it) stuck in the works. There's no telling if she has something like HIV and it can cross-contaminate your breastmilk.

If you want to purchase or rent a previously used breastpump, usually the hospital you deliver at has a shop inside the hospital where this can be done.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 9:12 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Just wanted to add that #2 and #4 is only applicable if you plan to use the used plastic parts which I wouldn't recommend because they are so cheap to replace and sometimes things such as tubing and membranes just get worn out.

***Sorry I ran out of space above...
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above answers...I used my aunt's and everything was cleaned and the parts that the milk touched were replaced and what not.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 9:35 PM on May. 11, 2009

• as long as you sanitize it, it's perfectly fine. i borrowed a friend's.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 9:57 PM on May. 11, 2009