• In the Spotlight:

Do you know if your teen does drugs or drinks alcohol?

Or do you just think you know?

comfycouch

Asked by comfycouch at 9:11 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I know with 100% certainty that my son is not doing drugs or drinking alcohol. He is almost 13 and he rarely goes places without me or another adult. If an adult isn't going to be present he is not allowed to go.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:51 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I have 2 teen sons 15 & 17. I used to be a live in counselor at a group home for juvenile delinquents. I can say with 99 % certainty that neither of my sons use. I do random room and backpack searches and I know the signs. They are at home with me and their dad from 315 til bed time at 9pm. They could invite friends over or go out but they chose not to. These aren't rules we have made this is just how they happen to be. If they do anything like that it would have to happen at school
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 5:54 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I am certain. I did get a confession from her that she had been drunk 2 times and hated the way it made her feel. LOL. I did find it funny. I think its because she such a control freak that when she felt out of control, it freaked her out. She told me she will never do it again. I know that by the time shes in college that theory might change, but I m glad that she told me and I m glad that she didn't like it. She didnt care for the hang over either. Shes only 14 so yes I was quite disappointed that she had engaged in this type of behavior secretly, but I know my daughter and though she disappointed me and it killed her, the guilt she put on herself was far worse than I could ever do. I told her to let it go and forgive herself for not only hurting me, but hurting herself. I sure hope she did. I don't want her going through life beating herself up everytime she screws up.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:11 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I'm positive they don't. That would require them leaving the house because I'm just not that mom that lets them do it at home.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 12:32 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I know my teen does drugs and both of my teen girls drink
    Mommaofteennkid

Answer by Mommaofteennkid at 1:18 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I am almost positive, but am not the mother to say "my kid would never..." I do know he has drank once when he was 14, the opportunity hit and he didn't really like the taste so only drank one beer. He also has a biofahter who was a drunk and pothead and knows that he HATED him when he was drunk or stoned and he doesn't want to be that person so I think he has been scared away from drugs, but I am sure that someday before 21 he will call drunk for me to pick him up....We have a very open relationship so I think he would tell me, or at least his friend who cannot seem to keep a secret from me would say something about it if DS was drinking. We also are lucky because he is very serious about his hockey and knows that drugs and alcohol can ruin any chance he has to play at a higher level like he wants to.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:36 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I'm certain. My step daughter doesn't go anywhere. It's school ..then home. She has no social life so IF she were doing drugs it would have to be in school and I doubt that is happening.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I felt I knew my son would not try drug/alcohol. I keep close tabs where he is and who he is with. Speak to the parents of his friends. Take him to and from school. He is in sports with his school. Is not allowed to just hang out. He has to have a reason to be somewhere with permission from his dad and I. Well not that long ago my 15 year old work us up acting weird. He had taken some allergy med. and a muscle relaxer from out of the medicine cabinet. This was not discovered until an ER visit, transfer to a larger hospital and an admit to a ped. ward. We were totally shocked over this. Our pediatrician stated this is very common in teens wanting to fit in or try things they hear about at school. I thought we were doing everything right by the book dh works full time I stay home, we are involved with our kids, sports, etc, It still happens. No-ones child is perfect.

Anonymous

• i thought my kids would never use drugs, or drink, because they seen what it could do to people. i was on drugs for 12 yrs, and there father 14 yrs. they seen how it destroyed our lives, and how hard i fought to get clean. when i sent my son to my sisters while i went into rehab, my son told me his step cousin had him smoke some weed several times with him. he was only 10 at the time. he is 15 now and has been clean for 6 months. he has told me he tried weed, meth, mushrooms, acid, and got drunk. i cried soooo hard when i found out. i felt like it was my fault for not being there. my daughter is 12 and told me my son gave her a hit off his joint on his 13th b-day. i beat his a** when she told me. my kids are with me most of the time the only time they are away are when they are with my friends riding go carts, and dirt bikes.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 1:49 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I unfortunately know for a fact that my 17 yo son smokes weed & drinks because he tells me pretty much everything. We had already sent him to a treatment center for 9 mos. he did great for 3 mos. when he came home but then got with the same old crowd. He knows my thoughts on his using but I don't know what else I can do to stop it. I guess at this point I'm thankful he's honest with me and I know where he is and what he's doing.
    DeniseLV

Answer by DeniseLV at 12:05 PM on May. 22, 2009