Do you make your child say yes mam / yes sir.......

My DD is polite but I just don't make her say yes mam / sir every time someone ask her something! I went to dinner with my friend and her DD tonight and every time she answered us my friend made her say yes mam! I am sorry but it was starting to get on my nerves. I think it is great to teach your kids manners but come on..... EVERY TIME they answer someone?????? How do you feel about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on May. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wish I had!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:43 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Your friend is teaching her daughter to have respect for her elders. It may be old fashioned but I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Anonymous

• It is a requirement at my son's school. I personally do not care for it. I actually prefer not to be told yes maam/no maam.
    I just find it weird and want to have a closer relationship with my kids then I feel I would have with requiring such formality.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:44 PM on May. 11, 2009

• when she is talking to me, unless shes in trouble and i'm asking her a question (like did you hear me, do you understand why you got in time out etc..) than she doesn't have to. shes 3. with my close family, and friends who i consider family no. she does have to call my friends by mr/mrs. but with people we don't know i ask her to say it b/c i feel it shows respect to her elders. the reason i don't enforce it at home and with family/friends is b/c it'd be a every time she says something me interrupting her and telling her what to say.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:52 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Nope, my kids don't ever sayy sir or maam.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:57 PM on May. 11, 2009

• You'd have to expect it all the time or not at all......how would they ever remember when to say it??

Our kids YES they do say it and are expected to say it all the time! My oldest is 11 and he even says it to teenagers.......like the cashier at the grocery store :)
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 10:05 PM on May. 11, 2009

• me too I wish I had... they need to learn respect and honor.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:05 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I require my son to say, "Yes ma'am" to me, especially when we are having a discussion in regard to his behavior, as it lets me know that he is truly listening and paying attention to what I am saying. It also teaches him to have respect.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 10:06 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Yes ma'am I sure do. I want my child to be different from the obnoxious rude kids I see in his school.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely! I wasn't raised saying Ma'am or Sir at all. However, after moving to the south and hearing it more often, I feel it is important. It shows respect. The only time I excuse my kids from saying it is when they are speaking to someone less than 16 years old.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 10:32 PM on May. 11, 2009