How much milk does your child drink?

My son is 14 months and ever since he went to straight milk and sippy cups, he doesn't drink much milk. My other son drank mostly milk for the longest time. Don't get me wrong he likes it and drinks it. I just think its weird for him to drink it constantly and then maybe 1 or 1 1/2 cups a day.

yaffamommy

Asked by yaffamommy at 10:02 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Since 1 year, my son drinks 3, 7oz servings a day (minimum) and gets more if he wants it. He prefers milk to juice or water. He is 18 months old right now.
    AydensMom101507

Answer by AydensMom101507 at 10:55 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My 17 month old daughter drinks one sippi-cup of organic whole milk in the morning (with Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol infant/toddler multivitamin) and once at night before bed. She drinks mostly filtered water through-out the day.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:49 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My 2 and 1 year old drink 3 - 8oz glasses a day. But they get other dairy as well. So if your son is eating yogurt and cheese and the like then I wouldn't fret over it.
    Mommy2Bears

Answer by Mommy2Bears at 1:11 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My 12 1/2 month old still nurses on demand, I dont give her cow's milk. I'll offer her almond milk in a sippy every now and then, but she doesnt seem to care too much for it.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:18 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Did you know that if you give them nothing but milk, they can get a urinary tract infection? So it really is good for toddlers to drink juice or water in between. Seriously, because the milk actually has chemicals, thats why its says pasturized on the gallon jugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 AM on May. 12, 2009

• We give 20-24oz of milk per day. They don't need more than that. Milk "can" be constipating, but I've never heard it gives urinary tract infections. I could have sworn bacteria was needed to cause an infection.

Anyway...in my own boys I know too much milk does cause constipation, and it cuts down on their appetite for food.

Milk in and of itself isn't a complete necessity. He can get the nutrients from milk in other dairy sources.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:25 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Unless he is a baby cow, you can skip the milk. Plant based calcium is much heathier; there is great information here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    For good fats, he can eat avocado and tofu, you can sprinkle ground flax in cereal and other foods, he can eat an egg (even better cooked in olive oil), drizzle flax oil in salad, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:29 AM on May. 12, 2009