how do I deal with judgemental parents?

I was at a public event my six year old wasn't listening & not even being safe SO I yelled at her then when that didn't work I lightly hit her on her forehead. Some lady came up to my husband & told him he better make sure that I stop abusing my kid. So he gets all upset & tells me lets leave. My 10yr old had to tell me what was going on. I come up to the lady who said I was abusive & try to talk nice to her. Only she keeps talking over me telling me how her husband is a officer & how I'm physically & verbally abusive to my kids... she tells me how she was abused..well I was abused so I tell her abuse is when you leave marks,broken bones,choking etc. I know I didn't do anything wroung, but the whole thing caused my husband & I to fight. It ruined the rest of the day. I normally use time-outs or taking stuff away rarely do I spank or tap my kids & they have even told me it dosn't hurt NOT something a abused kid says.

maiahlynn

Asked by maiahlynn at 10:07 PM on May. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just don't listen to what other ppl say. They are your children. Some ppl can be so anal. The problem is that ppl are worried about such Petty stuff. I think there is nothing wrong with scolding your child or even giving them a spanking. I would have a talk with my husband. That no matter what happens that he needs to have your back. I know that he might have just done all that fighting because he felt embarrassed. I would have told her to shove it. But in this day and age. You really have to be careful how you discipline your child in public. I wouldn't let it hurt my feelings

akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 10:19 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Wow, you weren't taught that you must use an in front of words that begin with a vowel. Yikes.
    Anonymous

• Abuse is not just physical. It is the things you can not see that cause the life long hurt. I have a rule if what my kids are doing will not harm them or anyone else I do not spank. If we are at an event and they are being obnoxious and I can not control it with mean mommy voice we leave... and I dont think it is ok to hit on a face esp in public ... that is just me though.. and a tap on the head and yelling DOES NOT warrant abuse.. I would have handed the lady my cell phone and told her "go ahead call" (I'm a mandatory reporter and the # is programmed in my phone real easy for her) I dont take no KRAP from others about raising my kids she should have mind her own business --
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:19 PM on May. 11, 2009

• That woman was way out of line. Boring life i guess. Dont let people like that get to you. I would ignore them and go about my way. Just the simple fact that she was talking over you, says a lot about her character. Dont sweat it, there will always be someone out there that feels the need to but into other people's affairs.
    tish0607

Answer by tish0607 at 10:21 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I act the same at home as in public i don't want my kids to think I am scared of disciplining them.
    I did offer her my name/address if she wanted to call DCFS. I also told her she should mind her own business. I know about verbal abuse my mom still calls me an airhead and called my 10 yr old a tattle tale. I lift up my kids going out of my way to point out when they are good I re-ensure them they are smart, beautiful kids. I may not like what they are doing, but I always love them. I also told my mom not to call my kids names.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:41 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Here's how you deal with them. You smile and nod and let it go in one ear and out the other. Or, if you're having a shitty day you tell them to go to hell and remove the stick from their ass. Sorry this happened to you!
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 10:42 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I do think she handled that badly. If she suspected abuse that was not the way to handle it. I do think tho that abuse is more than broken bones, bruises and such, the worst abuse happens with words...but honestly she may have been upset that you lightly hit your child in the head. spanking is one thing, but the head shots are not for some ppeople. jmo.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:43 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Give me a break, you are disciplining your child. You gave her a swat on her arm, you weren't beating her. I would have told her to mind her own business.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:58 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Good grief Mom spanking on the bottom is one thing but a tap on the head is on the verge of abuse. You already admitted that you were loosing your temper and then you hit your kid on the forehead. I may have not confronted you but I sure would have called the authorities. Get some help
    Anonymous

Give me a break, a tap on the forehead is not abuse. I have flicked my kids in the head to get their attention. Would you rather she let her child wander off?
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:39 PM on May. 11, 2009