When does seperation anxiety occur?

My 8 month old used to watch a baby einstein DVD while I was in the shower in the morning and before my husband was awake. He no longer does this and as soon as I get in the shower he screams like he is dying. I leave the door open so he can see me but he still gets very upset and will try to walk in his walker to get to me. I'm not sure is this is seperation anxiety or what because he doesn't do it to my husband. I need to figure out something because I need to shower and he already gets up at 6-6:30 and I really don't want to get up earlier than that just so I can take a shower. Any advice would help :)

shortleo

Asked by shortleo at 10:16 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes its seperation anxiety, start playing games like peek a boo etc so that he can learn just b/c he can't see you, you are still there. if you don't want to shower after he goes to bed (thats what i did with my daughter when she got to that point) than you can put the walker in the bathroom with you, close the door just make sure nothing is at his level. that way you can talk to him etc while you are in the shower. for his dad i'm guessing you are a SAHM and dad works, so its common for him for dad not to be there and you to be there all the time, so it freaks him out more when he can't see you than it does when he doesn't know where dad is
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:20 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I agree with vabchmommy. I bring my son into the bathroom with me when I shower. I put him in his bouncy seat and sing to him. We also have a clear shower certain so I can see him and he can see me. I will press my face against the certain and make faces which he loves. But I would def start playing games like vabch said.

Good luck.
    crazedaffe

Answer by crazedaffe at 1:22 PM on May. 12, 2009