Should you always tip housekeeping, no matter what? How much?

Loved the vacation but did not enjoy the room. When we got there they had ants on the heater/ac unit inside the room. We also found remnants from whom rented before us (gum and a toy ring). To prevent a bigger mess, we let the kids use the blanket as a picnic blanket on the floor. I got off as much crumbs as I could and left it with the used towels so they could wash it. I left the crumb side up so you could see it needed to be washed. To my surprise, housekeeping folded the dirty blanket and put it back in the closet as if it was a new clean one. I also deliberately left paper on the bathroom floor to see if they were actually cleaning like they're suppose to. And of course I had to go and get bathroom cleaner from the front desk and clean my own bathroom. I told my DH if he wanted to tip it was up to him but I wasn't. Was I wrong for not tipping? And yes, we did nicely place all used items in one pile & took out the trash.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Travel

• i wouldn't have. and i would have complained to management about the fact that you had to clean your own bathroom. that would be something that if i were the manager, no matter the standard of the hotel, i'd be very upset about. they pay these people to do this, not for you to do it yourself.
    and i'm actually usually the one to say tip everyone and tip well b/c i was a server for 6 yrs so i tend to overtip.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:35 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I'm a housekeeper and I say no tip. I always check my room out and report nasty stuff to the manager when I stay in hotels.. not only was it not cleaned properly but the rooms are supposed to be inspected by a second person before being rented out. out of curiosity where did you stay?
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 11:09 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I've working hotel housekeeping at all levels and I would be ashamed to have cleaned that room, and there is no way that would have passed inspection. I'd have been complaining about the ants and finding the gum and toy ring. And there is no way I'd have left a tip for service like that. Our policy was to clean a stay (where the same people were staying for a second or more night) just like a check out except to leave the same sheets on the bed and not replace towels that had been hung back up.

You were right not to tip. They are paid to clean the room, which they didn't do, why should they get an extra reward for not doing their job? I will tip housekeeping, but in this case they not only didn't deserve a tip, but needed to be reported to management.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:36 PM on May. 11, 2009

• We stayed in Cayman Suites. I did apologized to my DH because of complaining to him about the room. I don't know if it was management, but the guy at the desk was very kind. He offered to come up and clean the bathroom but he was the only person on duty and couldn't leave the desk. He checked some sheet of paper and said she had marked that everything was done. I explained again that I deliberately left that paper and it was still there. He apologized for the condition of the room and was suppose to have housekeeping come up and speak to us. But I guess we left before they had time to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on May. 12, 2009

• call management and complain. And no I wouldn't tip. I stayed at a 5 star resort and ended up having to clean my own bathroom too cause of mildew growing in the tub corners and on the floor (son allergic to mildew) and a cowardly anon told me I should stay at a higher class place. So anon what's higher than 5 star?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:55 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't really think it matters if it's a 'high class' place you paid for a clean room! I worked at a holiday inn they had extremely high standards when it came to cleaning their rooms every room was inspected it wasn't uncommon as a housekeeper to be sent back to get a smudge off the window but because they don't always inspect stayovers you can call frontdesk and ask for housekeeping make them aware of what wasn't done in your room.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 12:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• No tip here! Your husband's too nice.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 3:03 PM on May. 25, 2009