Do you suffer from diabetes, asthma or obesity because you were formula fed??

Some dingbat posted this in a recent breastfeeding question:

Not breastfeeding leads to asthma, diabetes, and obesity later in life. Why don't all these mother check in when your kids are 30? In looking around, the healthiest adults I know were breastfed. The sickest ones were formula babies. That's enough evidence for me.

****************

If you were formula fed, do you suffer from asthma, diabetes or obesity? Are you sickly because you were formula fed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on May. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• umm really how do you know for sure that that is the reasoning behind it? there is no way to know that at all. i was formula fed, i am slender, no asthma, no diabetes, no disorders, no chronological illnesses. i really think that when it comes to that kind of thing, its a numbers game. but really all of those diesease mentioned above can have plenty of other causes so how is it possible to really tell that it was b/c of how someone was fed 30 years ago? (i know the OP isn't saying thats the cause and i didn't mean to make it sound like that is directed at her, thats just the best way i can explain my view_)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:41 PM on May. 11, 2009

• there are no facts to base this on. I was breast fed EXCLUSIVELY and I am diabetic...its genetic.
    stop judging each other
    as long as your baby is fed well and happy...why judge those choices? ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• Um....we don't know what causes these things. Please step back and stop the war. Only you can fight breastfeeding/formula feeding fires.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:11 PM on May. 11, 2009

• My husband was formula fed, and he has asthma. Then again, he was also premature, and his mom smoked while she was pregnant. As pro-breastfeeding as I am, I would blame those two things before the formula.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 11:11 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I was not breastfed and I don't have any allergies, diabetes or suffering from obesity. My middle brother was breastfed for 6 months and had allergies so bad he had his adenoids and tonsils taken out pretty young.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:31 PM on May. 11, 2009