Roman catholic archboshop writes book about being gay, sex scandal...

NEW YORK – A Roman Catholic archbishop who resigned in 2002 over a sex and financial scandal involving a man describes his struggles with being gay in an upcoming memoir about his decades serving the church.

Archbishop Rembert Weakland, former head of the Milwaukee archdiocese, said in an interview Monday that he wrote about his sexual orientation because he wanted to be candid about "how this came to life in my own self, how I suppressed it, how it resurrected again."

Called "A Pilgrim in a Pilgrim Church: Memoirs of a Catholic Archbishop," the book is set to be released in June.

"I was very careful and concerned that the book not become a Jerry Springer, to satisfy people's prurient curiosity or anything of this sort," Weakland told The Associated Press. "At the same time, I tried to be as honest as I can."

Is he trying to justify himself? He was accused of sexual assault....

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:36 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Weakland stepped down soon after Paul Marcoux, a former Marquette University theology student, revealed in May 2002 that he was paid $450,000 to settle a sexual assault claim he made against the archbishop more than two decades earlier. The money came from the archdiocese.

Marcoux went public at the height of anger over the clergy sex abuse crisis, when Catholics and others were demanding that dioceses reveal the extent of molestation by clergy and how much had been confidentially spent to settle claims.

Weakland denied ever assaulting anyone. He apologized for concealing the payment. The Vatican says that men with "deep-seated" attraction to other men should not be ordained.

In an August 1980 letter that was obtained by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Weakland said he was in emotional turmoil over Marcoux and that he had "come back to the importance of celibacy in my life." He signed the letter, "I love you."

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:37 PM on May. 11, 2009

• The revelations rocked the Milwaukee archdiocese, which Weakland had led since 1977. He was a hero for liberal Catholics nationwide because of his work on social justice and other issues,

The archbishop, now 82, said he seriously considered the potential pain for the archdiocese of renewing attention to the scandal and thought about waiting "until I was dead" to have it published. But he decided to move ahead with the project.

"What I felt was that people who loved me as bishop here, when they read the book will continue to love me. The people who found it difficult, I hope will be helped a little bit by the book," he said.

In a sign of the deep emotions still surrounding Weakland and his departure, the Archdiocese of Milwaukee has released a public statement alerting local Catholics to the upcoming book.

"Some people will be angry about the book, others will support it," the archdiocese said
    sweet-a-kins

• Weakland also writes about his failures to stop sexually abusive priests. In a videotaped deposition released last November, Weakland admitted returning guilty priests to active ministry without alerting parishioners or police.

"Any deposition is just a part of a whole picture and that picture has not been painted yet. And anybody can take out of that any sentence they want," Weakland said in the interview.

"I try to deal with this, I hope in an honest way, admitting my weaknesses in not being able to see this earlier, but at the same time doing what I could confront it."

Advocates for abuse victims said that Weakland's cover-up of his own sexual activity was part of a pattern of secrecy that included concealing the criminal behavior of child molesters.

Weakland, a Benedictine monk, served in Rome as leader of the International Benedictine Confederation and also worked on a liturgy commission for the Second Vatican
    sweet-a-kins

• good for him!! he is gay because god made him that way, and i am glad he wrote about it!
    Anonymous

I'm not offended that he is gay, but he was accused of SEXUAL ASSAULT and the church paid off his victim $450,000....What the heck is that?? Why is that OK?? and he sent love letters to the man too. Why would they pay? Him writing the book stinks of him trying to gloss over that...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:58 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think it is disgusting. However, the church did not willingly pay for this. He appropriated the money for it.

He is nothing but a common criminal. It matters not what his faith or his job was. His actions were reprehensible. No one should benefit from their crimes.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:06 PM on May. 11, 2009

• He's writing a book because someone wants to pay him to do it. I write books all the time, but no one want s to read my sh!t so they'll never pay me. People want to read about the suffering of others, so a publisher is willing to pay this guy money because they too will make money off of this. It's greed my dear, plain and simple and it's the American way. Just like it's the American way to bash the Catholic Church and bring up any little scandal there is. Why is it o.k. for everyone to bash the Catholic Church over things a FEW men did. And yes it is a few compared to the total number of Catholics.The Church is made up of many good people, both religious and lay people. The sins of a few should not be shouldered by all.

Anonymous

• Why are there homosexual men all over the Catholic Church, working in positions of power?

Anyone care to venture a guess?

I have no clue, sure is strange, though.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:10 AM on May. 12, 2009

• He's writing a book because someone wants to pay him to do it. I write books all the time, but no one want s to read my sh!t so they'll never pay me. People want to read about the suffering of others, so a publisher is willing to pay this guy money because they too will make money off of this. It's greed my dear, plain and simple and it's the American way. Just like it's the American way to bash the Catholic Church and bring up any little scandal there is. Why is it o.k. for everyone to bash the Catholic Church over things a FEW men did. And yes it is a few compared to the total number of Catholics.. The sins of a few should not be shouldered by all.

I was raised catholic, and I'm most offended by the COVERING up of crimes by the church. Its a common knowledge thing. Molest a kid? they will PROTECT the molester, WHY?? That may attract OTHER molesters to join they know they will be protected when its the KIDS that should be
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:58 AM on May. 12, 2009