I worked in a nursing home and this lady jumped off a bridge and killed herself one morning. I worked w one of the paramedics who tried to save her but he couldn't because she had no face and he got drunk all that week.....

The aides that I worked with then started making fun of this woman for being "stupid" to jump off a bridge and I got pissed!!! I looked at all of them and was like "what the hell is wrong w you guys!!!? I think its sad as hell that that woman felt so desperate and sad in her life that she chose to kill herself!!" They all shut up but what is wrong with people!!! Suicide is NOTHING to joke about and I can't believe that people are so FREAKIN mean!!!!

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 10:45 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• People seem to have no empathy for one another anymore. It's so sad that this woman felt so bad that she felt she had no other choice. Good for you for standing up for her, and putting those idiots in their place! I hope they felt bad!
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 10:48 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I'm sorry you and your friend went through that.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:52 PM on May. 11, 2009

• In the medical field there a lot jokes that are not funny but this a way to let out emotions. Otherwise they could not do their work if they cried everyday.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:54 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I tell you what...you would be suprised at the suicide attemps and mental breakdowns that medical wokers have because of all the stress so you would think that they would be more understanding but no. They are more judgemental. Pricks
    Anonymous

• It's the medical field Dear. Although, you are right, it is nothing to joke about, medical personnel get tired of seeing suicides. For what? It's such a waste. Making light of the situation is their way of dealing with stress... they mean no harm. If you saw what they did day after day, you have to have an outlet.
    Anonymous

• OP, I know that...I am in the medical field....and have been for years. This was taken too far
    Anonymous

• OP here....I AM IN THE MEDICAL FIELD
    Anonymous

• I agree with you. It's nothing to joke about. It is sad that a person chooses to do this for whatever reason. Used to I thought the person was so selfish and that it was really stupid to do that when almost all problems are only temporary but I've come to a different understanding now. Sane people don't kill themselves usually. I don't think I'd jump off of a bridge, only because I'd be alive and awake when I hit and I wouldn't want to feel that pain even for a moment. But I'm guessing when she got there she wasn't planning on doing it, that it was a spontanious thought (the whole hitting the bottom would change my mind).
    I don't joke about things like that either.. nothing funny about it. There's too many regular jokes to lighten my mood than someone hurting/killing themselves.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:03 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Its nothing to joke about...but I've worked in funeral homes and sometimes there are situations so sad and heartbreaking and you have to be so sober all the time that you're emotions get mixed up and you end up saying things that are coarse and inappropriate to one another. On behalf of all of us that do these things to make light of the situation and cope, I'm truly sorry it offended and hurt you.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 11:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I don't know why they bothered to attempt to save her. As far as I'm concerned committing suicide is the same as having a DNR. But when it comes down to jokes, there is nothing too serious to joke about. The whole world is fodder for joke material. Some may be tasteless and some may be inappropriate to other people but even those jokes serve a purpose. As others have stated, it's a form of stress relief and a form of coping with tragedy and to help form camaraderie and support. Which they did not receive from you as you both have very different experiences with death and tragedy.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:50 AM on May. 12, 2009