5 day old spits up blood. is this normal?

My sisters baby just spit up what looks likes a blood clot. Anyone know anything about it? Oh, she is only breastfed.

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 10:49 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If they baby is breastfed and mom's nipples are cracked and bleeding (which is VERY common esp at only 5 days) then it is most likely from mom, and no need to go to the ER. If there is blood in baby's poop also, then yes, a visit to the doctor is warranted, but go to the pediatrician first instead of rushing to the ER.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 11:18 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I think I would have been to the ER so fast it would have made an ambulance look slow.
    Anonymous

• Spitting up blood is never normal. Call the dr or head to the ER.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:51 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Ummmmm that is not normal at all. Take him to ER.
    Anonymous

• GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND GO TO THE ER NOW!
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 10:54 PM on May. 11, 2009

• yeah i would go to the er...he could be spitting up blood that he ingested during the delivery but i would not take any chances. take him now. don't wait around waiting for something else to happen. take him before something else goes wrong.

good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:56 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would have her take the baby to the ER just to be on the safe side, but it is possible that it's due to the breastfeeding and that it's not the baby's blood but the mom's. Once in a while the baby will end up ingesting a small amount of blood because of mastitis or a sore on the nipple. It will not hurt the baby, but again, to be sure, I would have her take the baby to be seen.

genxmomma

Answer by genxmomma at 10:58 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would get to the ER. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    Rosalie29

Answer by Rosalie29 at 11:00 PM on May. 11, 2009

• It's not normal for an adult to spit up blood much less an infant head for the the E.R.NOW quick fast and a hurry
    joy4me

Answer by joy4me at 11:36 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I would have the child checked out regardless, but at 5 days old, 5 days of breast feeding, it's most likely blood from momma's nipples. Get the baby checked out, and get that momma some lanolin!
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:49 PM on May. 11, 2009