How to deal with extreme rage in a 3 year old?

Is it normal for 3 year olds to experience this extreme rage? for instance she threw up tonight, and then just lost it, bit DH twice, throwing things knocking things over screaming, throwing herself around, just about inconsolable. What have you done to help tone down this rage/biting/scratching/hitting. Of course shes perfect for everyone else, mostly she does this with just me? what can i do to help her?

alyssasmommy312

Asked by alyssasmommy312 at 11:02 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think its normal for them to have extreme rages, and would be thinking of seeing a counselor on how to deal with the issues, it could be other issues behind it. I do know tantrums are normal but my kids have never gone that over board. My youngest has a hot temper but has never bitten me.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 10:17 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Extreme rage in a tree year old is normal to an extent. Kids at this age are working on developing emotional regulation so it's not abnormal for a child to experience strong emotions and not know how to handle them.

Do teach her how to control her rage by not getting out of control yourself and by letting her know that her emotions are appropriate but her behavior is not. I tell my son " It's O.K. to feel angry, but hitting and biting is not O.K., so when you hit and bite you will go to your room." It should start to kind of drop off over the next year. If it does not you might want to see a doctor about it

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 2:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I've never heard of extreme rage being normal in anyone that didn't have a problem to begin with...In no means am I implying anything but that type of behavior where she's biting and throwing herself around is not normal behavior for anyone...you should address these concerns with her pediatrician.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:25 PM on May. 12, 2009

• my 4 year old does the same thing but when she doesnt get her way and she always says shes gonna pack up her brother and run away and time outs just dont seem to work i wish i knew what would
    miss_aquarius22

Answer by miss_aquarius22 at 12:18 PM on May. 13, 2009