Is the name "Maven" too wierd for a baby boy?

I really like the name "Maven" (pronounced May-vin) for a little boy. It means bearer of knowledge, one who shares knowledge, and all of our first names in the family start with "M". But my MIL cried when she heard the name, she hated it so badly. Is the name that wierd? For goodness sake I don't want people to shudder when they hear his name for the rest of his life.

Marti123

Asked by Marti123 at 11:10 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sorry, but I don't like it at all. I don't mind Marvin, but this name is setting the guy up for a world of teasing.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:12 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Use it as a middle name.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• to be honest, if you have to ask then my guess would be yes, I would pick a name that you 100% love and have no questions about
    Anonymous

• I know a woman named Mavin. I don't know how much I like it for a boy. BUT you should name your baby what you want.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:13 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I don't want to sound mean but I think your little guy will be teased with that name.
    Anonymous

• I personally don't care for that name at all. I think it sounds more for a girl than a boy, I agree with previous posters, I think he would be teased. However, The nice thing about having a baby is that you get to pick whatever name YOU like. So, if you like that name, use it and don't worry about what others think.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:57 PM on May. 11, 2009

• middle name maybe? i don't like it so much.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:41 AM on May. 12, 2009

• hey its better then what my husband wants to name our son which is alvin god i hate the name it means friend of elves. and id cry if he decided to name that i hope he finds somehing else. but any ways its your baby name it what you want the meaning sounds nice. and i think its cute but hey any name is better then alvin.
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 6:26 AM on May. 12, 2009