• In the Spotlight:

MILITARY WIFES, FIANCIE, GIRLFRIENDS ETC BE AWARE PLEASE READ VERY IMPORTANT

WELL I GOT A STRANGE CALL TODAY A WOMAN ASKING TO SPEAK TO ME SAYING SHE WAS SGT SECERTARY AND THEY NEEDED TO SPEAK AND MEET UP WITH ME IN PERSON BECAUSE OF AUDORITY MATTER WELL THEY CALLED FROM THEIR PERSONAL CELLPHONE YES THEY DID AND SAID THEY HAD TO MEET WITH ME THIS FRIDAY !!!!!! WELL I CALLED MY UNCLE WHOS BEEN IN THE MILITARY 21 YEARS HE SAID THEY WOULD HAVE CALLED STRAIGHT FROM THE JAG OFFICE NOT A CELLPHONE AND HE TOLD ME TO BE CAREFUL BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE PLAYING PRANGS ON PEOPLE WHOS LOVE ONES ARE OVERSEAS AND GOT ME REALLY UPSET AND P I S S E D YEAH SO PLEASE RESPOND AND PLEASE BE CAREFUL AT FIRST I THOUGHT THEY WHERE SERIOUS I WAS GOING ACCUSE MY FIACNIE OF BEING MARRIED AND IT WAS ALL A PRANG TO MY PERSONAL CELLPHONE

CrystalsPreg

Asked by CrystalsPreg at 11:18 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• never ever trust someone when they call about your SO who is military unless you can verify them and where they call from. last year in my area, people were calling spouses and saying they were from the red cross and were notifying them of an injury their spouse had but said they needed the wife/husband who isn't military to verify their sponsors SS# and a few of the newer spouses fell for it b/c they didn't know any better and thought that since they have to notify the red cross if anything happens to get notice to their SO that the red cross would notify them, not realizing the military would notify them.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:25 PM on May. 11, 2009

• yeah my husband is military and deployed. luckily i've never gotten any calls like that, though i would certainly call my husband's chain of command, people i've met, to verify anything. you should always have your spouse's call roster so you can get in touch with his squadron or platoon or whatever
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:35 PM on May. 11, 2009

• but the OP isn't married to him. She called him her fiancee. How would they (anyone) get her number to make the prank call? My dd's fiancee is in Iraq so how would anyone get her number to do something like that?

Answer by admckenzie at 12:13 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Thanks for the information I have lucky never received any calls on those lines but its good to know to watch out for that. My dh is deployed right now as well. And as for how they might get that info I may have and idea on that one. I got a letter just last week informing us that my dh's info might have been compromised because some documents that are normally shredded were accidentally sent to be recycled and to take precautions for identity thieft.

lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 12:35 AM on May. 12, 2009

• omg! geez an here i thought we were safer being military. luckily Ive never had one of those calls in the 3yrs we've been in. nor have i gotten a letter. id be pretty pissed regardless, an sent that number to the police, an chain of command so further action could be taken.

youngmarriedmom

Answer by youngmarriedmom at 1:59 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Very difficult to understand what the hell you are talking about ( above). However I have heard of the scam you are referring to. All Military spouses should be aware that they aren't supposed to be discussing their Soldier's whereabouts, when they leave, come back etc.. My DH is Spec. forces and we aren't even allowed to discuss with our neighbors (on post) where our spouses are at any given time, etc. We are briefed on our high security status.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on May. 12, 2009

• If you're not married, the military wouldn't even have your info. His contact list would include family members. If anyone ever gets "the knock" or a call, verify who they are by asking to see their military ID. They should also know what unit your husband is with & probably his MOS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My husband is also SF, and I just wanted to let all of you women know that you shouldn't be posting ANY INFORMATION WHATSOEVER about yourselves or your family like this on the internet unless it is ANON. You are putting your spouse at great danger if he is (god forbid) captured and ends up as a POW. Just a heads up. I don't understand why you women don't understand this!!
    Anonymous