whats the best type of birth control?

I just gave birth to my baby boy on april 14 2009 and soon I go for my 6 week appointment and I haven't decided on what type of birth control to get on, I hav heard so much about these iud's but which one would be the better choice since we dsont want anymore kids for at least 5 years or longer? What type of birth control would you recommend?

dbarkley101306

Asked by dbarkley101306 at 11:56 PM on May. 11, 2009 in Health

• personally, i am against all hormonal birth controls, and i have issues with the ways IUDs work. if it were me, i'd be looking into Natural Family Planning (NFP) or the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM). both of them involve keeping track of your cycles and ovulation, so you know when you're fertile and you'll know when to abstain from sex or when to use a condom or what have you. it allows you to get in touch with your body and understand how it works. never hurts to know whats going on :)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:00 AM on May. 12, 2009

• abstinence but I'm guessing that's not an option!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:03 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I loved Yasmin...I have never been able to take other bc pills because of hormone and weight issues I actually lost 25 lbs with yasmin.
    ormom1977

Answer by ormom1977 at 12:08 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Having a baby without any drugs or pain management was it for me. I totally didn't want to have another child after that.

But seriously, I had my Mirena IUD inserted. It's good for 5 years but can be removed at anytime. I've had it a year and haven't had any accidents.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:43 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Having had condoms and the pill fail on me, I got a hormone based IUD that's only for women who have already had children (The new Mirena IUD) and it's fantastic. The best side effect - lighter periods and eventually no periods at all.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 1:49 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I've had the Mirena for 5 months and I still haven't had a period. I bled after insertion for about 3 days, but I don't even notice it's there.

I've done the pills and Condoms, I'm never gonna do anything but the Mirena again.
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 3:40 AM on May. 12, 2009

• A diaphram has no hormones, no side effects, no interference with feelings, and is perfectly safe.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:00 AM on May. 12, 2009