Changing our sleeping situation.

Our son Ollie from the time he was brought home from the hospital until now (10 weeks) has been sleeping with us in our bed. I would like to start putting him to sleep in his own room in his crib. The problem I have is that no matter what he will not sleep on his back. the moment his back touches anything be it the floor, the couch, or the mattress in his crib he starts to scream. I was just wondering if you ladies had any advice about how to get him use to it. And if the back situation doesn't pan out he doesn't mind sleeping on his side (I know I know, tummy and side to sleep are not recommended but it's the only way he'll sleep). Any advice on the subject would really help. Thanks. Jen

crazedaffe

Asked by crazedaffe at 12:00 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 4 months and has been sleeping on his tummy since he was 1 and a half months old. If your son preferrs to sleep on his tummy and can move when he needs/wants to I say try it. My son has been fine since we start him on his tummy. He as well would not sleep on his back for anything. We tried the side but he always would roll back onto his back so we started him on his tummy and he loves it. If your comfortable with trying it, I'd say go ahead atleast once and see how it works.

Hope you you have some luck.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:15 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My 11 week old sleeps on her side in one of those 15 dollar positioners. usually by morning she is on her back. I just kinda lay her more towards her back then the tummy and if she starts moving, she falls onto her back.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:07 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Actually, I always preferred putting my son on his side to sleep. He slept better that way, and it put my mind at ease to know that he (in my opinion) would be less likely to get strangled on spit-up. For babies (and grown-ups as well) with reflux (like me & my kiddo), sleeping on the left side is a lot more comfortable. If your son likes sleeping on his side, I'd say let him sleep that way, if you're comfortable with it. He'll start rolling before long, so he'll end up where he wants regardless of how you lay him down to start with.

Is he okay with being on his back if he is slightly elevated? Like... on one of those baby wedges or in a bouncy seat?
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:10 AM on May. 12, 2009

• my son sleeps on his stomach most of the time. as long as the sheets are tight-fitting and there isn't any loose material in his bed, sleeping on his stomach shouldn't be a problem, especially now that he's big enough to lift and turn his head
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:12 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I wonder if his back is bothering him. Have you checked to see if you have a chiropractor in your area who works on babies? Think about all a baby goes through with delivery and being cramped in the womb, it may just be he's uncomfortable.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 1:54 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Talk to your doctor and see what position he/she recommends. As soon as my son learned to roll onto his tummy, that's how he preferred to sleep. I was pretty worried, but the doctor said he would be fine. My friend's baby was a tummy sleeper from birth.. same thing, her doctor said it was fine. (Note.. obviously today's theory is that it's best for little ones to sleep on their backs.. I'm just stating what my friend and I were told by our doctors.)
    Mandarina23

Answer by Mandarina23 at 2:18 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My dd has never liked being on her back. She has always slept on her side with a sleep positioner.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:49 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My kids, all 5 of them slept on their tummies. It is where they were comfortable. It was the only way they would sleep. We do not smoke and they are all fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 12, 2009

• thanks every one. I feel a lot better about this. I have just been getting a lot of grief from my mother-in-law about this and a lot of other things as well (i.e. "in MY day I use to let my children blah blah blah" or "When I was raising MY kids I would never let them blah blah blah"). I think that we are going to try tummy sleep for a week in his our bed. If it works out great, if not at least we tried. I know she means well but it is making me a little crazy.

Thanks again every one.

crazedaffe

Answer by crazedaffe at 12:53 PM on May. 12, 2009