When my baby was born (5 wks ago) her ped. at the time put her on soy formula w/ rice cereal because of really bad reflux. I really wanted to breastfeed but was told that it was imposible. We switched ped.s and the new one said that her problem wasnt because of what she was eating. It was a mechanical problem with her valve that keeps the food down. SO i can bf if i want. Ive been pumping since she was born and have been freezing it. Ive tried to bf her lately and

she just sucks and screams. She doesnt settle down till i get it into a bottle with the cereal in it to thicken it up. My milk supply has drasticly shrunk to almost nothing and i dont know what to do!! I really wanted to breastfeed. Now that i can, my boobs decide to malfunction (lol). Any suggestions?

Asked by becca2715 at 11:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Offer her the breast as often as possible!! She is probably just frustrated because with the bottle the milk comes out instantly, for some women it takes up to 15 minutes for let down. Try pumping or manually expressing and "kick starting" your letdown o she gets right to it. Just keep offering it as much as possible, eventually she WILL get it. Then start weaning her off the bottle and on the breast and your supply WILL get back up. Its all about supply and demand!! Good job pumping all this time!!

Answer by sapient at 11:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Keep trying and pumping, she has a nipple preference so it may take her a minute to get used to yours. Also make sure you are expressing some for her to get and message those girls to help her get some milk. Also there should be some one in your area to help you with this.
    They are a really big help I can not think of what they are called hopefully someone else will.

Answer by ChaoticCreation at 11:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• just keep trying to give her the milk... Mabe she will eventually take.. I hope so..!!

Answer by emturner at 11:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I would try to nurse with her sitting up as much as possible and then if she is not content go ahead and give it in a bottle. Sometimes my son feels like nursing and other times he wants it in a bottle. Also, increasing your fluid intake will help increase your supply (avoid caffeine) Good luck!

Answer by kimmie10575 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• You might try a nipple shield and see if she takes that better.

Answer by TwinmomPlus at 1:43 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Keep trying! Offer her the boob EVERY time you sit down to feed her. Don't wait until she's starving or fussy to give it to her b/c then she'll fight you more.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:18 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• just keep going strong, the older baby gets the easier it will be... babies are just kinda fussy at first! maybe talk to a lactation consultant or le leche leagues

Answer by shetibo at 3:37 AM on Jun. 23, 2008