They Suspended This Kid bc He Went to His GF's Prom

Read about it here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30669405/

Then tell me what you think.

metalhealthmama

Asked by metalhealthmama at 12:03 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• That's in my hometown! I don't think it was right. Then again, when you don't follow school rules, you've got to deal with the punishment. It was a Christian school that didn't believe in those things. I don't know that he should have gone to that school not believing the same way the people of the school do. They told him before he even went that if he went, he would get suspended. He went anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I think it is wrong, but it is a stupid rule that his school has and he broke it. If he and his parents did not agree with the rule there are plenty of other schools.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I think its bullshit that schools feel they should be involved in what a student does outside of school. On the other hand though, if he signed the rules before hand than I guess he knew this was going to happen so its not like they just made up the rule when he went to his gf's prom...it was already in place and the student knew about it. I just think what kids do outside of school should be none of the school's concern. We had a football player at my public school who was arrested one weekend for "resisting arrest" at a party half our school was at and he got kicked off the football team for it. I thought it was so stupid. What he did had nothing to do with the school and that is exactly the same here. If the boy wanted to go to his gf's prom he should be able to without getting in trouble.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:07 AM on May. 12, 2009

• If he didn't agree with the school rules, transferring schools probably would have been the right way to go. The school is within its rights to enforce its rules. He doesn't have to stay there. Credits are transferable.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:06 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I think it's a load of crap, but then again, when I read the rules that said that the school felt they (as opposed to me - the parent) had a right to dictate what they got to do when they were NOT at school, I would have NOT signed the papers or enrolled my child.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:58 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I agree that the kid and his parents knew the rules of that school and chose to agree to them. This wasn't a public school; they chose that school and probably bc of the rules/values it has.

I personally would not send my kids to such a school (I'm not into that much mind control!!), but and I think it is ridiculous that the kid is making a big deal (and money) out of it - gee, great values on the part of that family!??! Send your kid to the school so he can get those values, but then defy, criticize and make money off of the fact that you have disobeyed those values.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 7:39 AM on May. 12, 2009

• If they knew beforehand, then they knew what the consequences would be. Some schools have some dumb rules, but when you enroll, you are agreeing to abide by them. They have that right.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:06 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Well that is one way to get on TV!
    Anonymous

• I think it was wrong of the school. What is done outside of school should be none of the schools business, plain and simple.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:44 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I understand the school wanting to enforce their views, but do they have the right to control what the students do when off campus during non school hours? I think they went too far. It's the parents choice to let their child go to a dance and their place to punish him. I can understand if he started a dance on campus or skipped school to go. But this is going too far.
    Anonymous