May I please be excused?

I never thought too much of it, but after having some dinner table battles, Dh has made it a rule that the kids must ask for permission to leave the table. I feel this is being a bit old fashioned and strict, but since he felt strongly about it, I went along with it.

Do you require that your children ask to be excused before leaving the dinner table?

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 12:03 AM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, we do! My stepbabies are 6 and 4 (My son's not going anywhere since he's strapped into a high chair) may not leave the table until my husband gives them permission. He doesn't give them permission until we're at least mostly done with dinner as a family.

It teaches them patience and it also reminds them that dinner is a family event to be enjoyed.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:07 AM on May. 12, 2009

• once they're old enough, i most likely will, yes
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:08 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Absolutely. Every meal, everytime
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:09 AM on May. 12, 2009

• It's a requirement at my son's school and once we start eating at a table (yeah! in two weeks!), I'll try to reinforce the habit. But he is definitely required to take care of his own dinner plate and put it in the sink.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:13 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes. I think it's only polite. My kids can either ask, or wait until I tell them the can be excused.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:23 AM on May. 12, 2009

• YES! We also added not until 3/4 of the table had finished!
    malindasb

Answer by malindasb at 12:23 AM on May. 12, 2009

• yes, we have them ask to leave the table. My 4 yr old has been asking politely since he was about 2. If he just demands to get down I ask him to say it in a more polite way. Having manners can only help kids later on.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:27 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Lol, no we sure don't. I feel like we do good if we can get them to sit down in their chairs for the entire meal. LOL We do require "Yes Ma'am" and "No Sir" for manners, but past that we are a pretty laid back family.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:40 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes. My third child has been asking since she was18 months. The older two do it to. The baby signs "done".
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:39 AM on May. 12, 2009

• When my kids were younger, I did. The reason is, it's a good way to establish basic table manners - "No, you may not be excused, everyone else is still eating, and we eat together as a family." "Yes, you may be excused, please take your dishes into the kitchen." And so on, and so on... We didn't always make them sit through the whole meal when they were little, but we made them sit for awhile, they couldn't just wolf down their food and bolt from the table.

Now that they're teens, it's second nature for them that it's rude to wolf down your food and jump up from the table, that meal time is when we sit together as a family and eat and share our day with each other. So now, they don't have to ask to be excused. If they have to use the bathroom, they say "excuse me" and get up and go (but so do dh and I). When the meal is over, then we pretty much all leave at the same time.

It's made meals fun for ALL of us :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:43 AM on May. 12, 2009