Children of working moms did you ever feel like you were missing something growing up?

What is your relationship with your mom like now?
Do you feel like you missed out on things while you were growing up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• my mom and i have an amazing relationship. she stayed home from the time i was born, until my parents got a divorce when i was around 11 or so. what mattered was that she made what time she did spend with us kids count
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:24 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Nope I didn't feel like I was missing anything. I am proud of my mom. She started college when I was eight and went to school full time and worked full time. She worked her ass of to get an education so that we could have a better life. What a cool mom.
    I have a good relationship with my mom.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:27 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I'm proud of my mom for: Getting back on her feet after the divorce. Finishing college. Establishing a career that meant something. Keeping a roof over our heads. Cooking a nutritious dinner every night. Teaching us to continually improve our minds.

I'm NOT proud of her for: Not noticing that my brother was getting beaten up and I was being molested. Shaming me for wetting the bed till I was 13 instead of looking for the root cause. Not teaching us proper hygiene. Spending her money on cigarettes and the lottery instead of replacing our too-small shoes. Being more interested in watching TV than communicating with us. Criticizing freely, complimenting rarely.

I'm all for mothers working full-time. It's important to be fulfilled and we all need $$$ these days. Just make sure the time you spend with your kids is quality time. Communicate, listen, praise and love them unconditionally, and they will be proud of you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on May. 12, 2009

• my mom stayed home until I was in middle school, and has been working ever since. That's how I'd like to do it. We never had a lot money growing up, but we never received public assistance and had vacations every couple of years. Sometimes it was just camping, but my mom is an amazing budgeter and made sure there was enough. Either that or my dad won the money playing poker. lol, jk. ok, not jk that much. Anyway, my childhood was great, not because my mom stayed home for so long, but because she is who she is. SAHMs aren't always great moms.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:38 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My mom worked when I went to school, but my memory only goes back to about 3rd grade or so. She wasnt home when I got home from school and I wished she was, but even when she was there....she was emotionally absent. As I got older and the problems between my parents escalated, it got worse. SHe moved out and even though I stayed with her some...she was still emotionally absent. Theres a whole part of my life she missed just because her head was in the clouds. Thats when I suffered the most. Then when I was 15, she left physically. Moved to SF and I stayed with my dad. She lives here again now and we have a good relationship. Its been a long time healing though.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:57 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My mom went back to work when I was 2 1/2 so I don't even remember her being home.. But she worked 7 to 4 every mon-fri, and we have an excellent relationship. When I'm in school, it really doesn't matter whether she's home or not, and was always home about an hour after I got home.. and we are like best friends now
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My mom worked until I was 13. My granny and papaw watched me and my little brother (my older brothers were old enough to fend for themselves) But I loved the quality time I got to spend with my grandparents every day- they were like my second mom and dad. Which I LOVED! You can never have too many loving parents. I felt like I gained a ton by her working. Then she quit her job and stayed home and homeschooled my brother and I once I was in highschool. Complete life changer. I went from seeing her not too often to seeing her 24/7 which I also loved :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:01 AM on May. 12, 2009

• To be completely honest, I wish that my mom didn't work as much as she did. She was never able to participate in school activities that often, just doing stuff with us. When she was home, she didn't spend a lot of time with us, because she was too tired..

But, I understand now that it was important that she worked. She is a single mom and she busted her ass through college, and did what she had to do to make sure that we had food on the table and a roof over our heads. So, while I wished she spent more time with us and I did feel like we did miss something, I am proud of her for taking care of us on her own.
    MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 9:18 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't feel missed out on anything. My mom done her best to keep a roof over our heads and clothes on our backs. I have a great relationship with my mom. I actually think we are closer because she worked. She showed me responsibilityand that taking care of your family is # 1. I worked for 5 1/2 years and got laid off in Nov. 2008. Recently went back to school part-time and starting school full-time in the fall. Once I'm done, I'm planning on getting a full-time job again. I loved working. And I don't think my kids minded it when I did. I like being a SAHM but it's not for me. This might sound messed up but I like looking forward to coming home and seeing my little ones instead of being home all day. I just get cabin fever way to easily.
    vlukey

Answer by vlukey at 9:19 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes, I definitely feel like I missed out on something! My mom went back to work when I was three. I remember crying all day at the babysitter. I remember seeing commercials with kids and their moms at home and thinking it was 'normal' for a mom to be at home and not at work. I guess this formed my ideal that I would sacrifice almost anything to be at home with my kids. Now, I don't think it's wrong for a mother of young children to work. For me, though, staying home feels like the right thing.
    Mom3Princess00

Answer by Mom3Princess00 at 9:24 AM on May. 12, 2009