After having a baby, did you have a doctor or nurse at the hospital that judged you for any of your parenting decisions? Such as breast feeding verses bottle feeding? If so, how did you handle it?

1baby2

Asked by 1baby2 at 12:30 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think they judged me because i chose to not vaccinate, and the baby slept in the bed with me a lot of times, but they didn't treat me any differently. i think they were impressed that i made my own decisions, and i was confident in my choices which allows other people to feel more relaxed... does that make sense?
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:34 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes. I had a lactation consultant come in and smash my daughter's face into my breast (my daughter was bawling and I was furious) and tried to force her to eat when she wasn't hungry. I knew she wasn't hungry, but she still insisted. Then, she talked about how important it is to breastfeed and how sad it is when people don't breastfeed. This was AFTER I attempted many times and finally told her I was done. She kept pressing me. I held it in, but I was EXTREMELY angry by the time she left. If I had it to do over, I would have told her off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I had no problems with the staff at the hospital, but the Nurse Practioner that I go to for her check-ups and vaccines is about to drive me to yelling. She always speaks so patronizingly to me when the subject of me feeding my daughter fruit comes up. She keeps insisting to me that I should not be feeding my five month old applesauce and pear sauce, citing that she will have intestinal issues. Every woman in my family gave their children rice cereal, then applesauce when they were between one and two months old, and we are all just fine. I told her this, and she preceded to tell me that fruit at this age will make her crave sweet things, and then she won't want anything else. First of all, my daughter has no problem eating any vegetable I have given her thus far. Second of all, I am not some push over idiot mother who is going to cater to and spoil my child if such a thing were to come about.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 12:49 AM on May. 12, 2009

• OMG They didnt really judge me I dont think but every single nurse that walked in the room kept asking me "are you breast feeding?' "Do i need to get you a pump" I just wanted to scream GO LOOK AT MY CHART!!!! lol
    ladybug.ky88

Answer by ladybug.ky88 at 12:53 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes i have been judged. I have 4 children they are 5, 2, 1 and 11 months. I am also 28 weeks pregnant with #5. With my last i was asked what i was doing for birth control and i told them that i dont prefer to discuss that at the time and when i see my OB i would go over my choices with her and the nurse gave me "the look." Then i got the oh so famous "are you catholic?" I just explained i didnt wish to have bc at the time and when i felt it was needed i would ask for it. No im not catholic. Yes all my children have been planned and yes i want more and no i dont plan on waiting long after having #5 to try for #6 that is my choice and no one elses! When you are in the hospital having your baby you have the right to make your own choices and unless it is going to harm you or your baby or the staff there is nothing anyone can do about it.
    mommyof3nluvnit

Answer by mommyof3nluvnit at 12:55 AM on May. 12, 2009

• with my first they kept asking if I wanted to circ him. I kept saying no, and they would look at me like I had sprouted an extra head. Sorry, we're Jewish, he'll have it done on the 8th day. With my 2nd son it wasn't an issue, but then again a lot of things had changed in the 7 yrs between their births.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:58 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My OB held her tongue when I told her I was bottle feeding (ah, she went to Berkeley and I think is an ex hippie but that's cool) and I got the evil eye from the OB nurses at the hospital when I repeated my intentions. But they were really pissed when I told them to keep my son all night in the nursery his first night. Second born and I needed to sleep and he was in great hands!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:12 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I will say I got very lucky... I had worked at the hospital I delievered at until I got put on bedrest at 6 months so everything was awesome but I have been told horrible stories of things like this.. I just got lucky..
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 1:28 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Up here where I am you do nto have any choice but to breast feed unless you have some seriosu complications. That's about it.

They also treated me like I was like 12 even though I was 20 when I had my daughter. But I was the youngest mother in the ward at the time.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 1:32 AM on May. 12, 2009

• About 10 minutes after my c-section the so called recovery nurse said that I was bad mom, because I was choosing to bottle feed, later some of the nurses only made 10 cc's in my son's bottle, because that one b**** told them I was breast feeding, so he wasn't getting enough to eat for a couple of days, once I figured that out, I made sure to feed my son more, and told any stupid nurses to get out of my room! It still almost makes me cry to remember that my son didn't have enough to eat because of evil nurses.
    1baby2

Answer by 1baby2 at 2:06 AM on May. 12, 2009