Making Family Gatherings More Enjoyable For Everyone

I'd like to know how I can make my family gatherings more enjoyable for everyone. My husband and I have been together for 5 years. His family doesn't ever gather and his parents are Jehovah Witness'. When we do have a family gathering it usually includes my teen son, his son and daughter both in their early 20's and my step son's wife. Whenever we have a gathering I end up in the kitchen alone preparing the food and cleaning up. During all this the rest of them are gathered in front of the TV, playing games or, now their new fave, smoking cigars. I spend the entire gathering completely alone in the kitchen. I've asked my husband to get everyone more involved so that I don't end up feeling like the maid but he says he doesn't want his kids feeling uncomfortable by having to cook & clean. But when they go to their moms or other relatives they DO help with the cooking and cleaning. The problem isn't them...it's my husband.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Holidays

• How well do you get along with your sk's? Maybe you can talk to them yourself, make a few suggestions or after dinner just say " so & so would you mind giving me a hand plz?"
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:16 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Assing everyone a job. They won't know you need help if you don't tell them. Maybe they think you have everything under control.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:07 PM on May. 17, 2009

• You could look at it as they think you're the bomb and don't need their help. I agree, ask, don't put ti on your dh to do it he seems uncomfortable with it. Maybe instead of making a meal do a buffet style spread. That's how our get together's usually go. Arrange the living room as the eating area and put chairs infront of the tv so no one is tempted to put the tv on, or able to for that matter.
    Have things readily prepared and ask people attending if they would like to bring something.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:24 PM on May. 18, 2009

• cook the main course and ask the rest to bring sides. Bring out the fine china you know paper plates (who cares how nice they look) and do the cleaning up after everyone leaves. Get out there and socialize with them all.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:50 AM on May. 19, 2009

• I would order pizza and breakout a new board game and tell them you really want to spend time with them so pizza it is!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:29 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Use paper plates and order pizza!!!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:39 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I think u should use paper plates and utensils and cups. Have a pot luck style meal so that you don't have to cook it all. And have big trash cans so everyone can drop off their stuff when they're finished. You shouldn't have to clean anything. It's your time to relax too. And if everyone does their part the event will be great for everyone in the end.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 1:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• yeah!!!!!!! you go girl..... I agree go with paper everything and have everyone do their share.and have some help by asking people to bring in some kind of side dish. That way you can have fun yourself by mingleing with others. too. And you won't be as tired.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:48 AM on Jun. 4, 2009

• Thanks everyone! You all have great ideas.
    businmessmom

Answer by businmessmom at 10:25 AM on Jul. 20, 2009