Anything else i should know about my Chihuahua?

Hi everyone i just got a 2 yr old female,tiny little thing, it's taken her a day to warm up , she's on my lap as i type and loves hubby! but wondering besides ear and ey infections what else should i know and care for... thanks

mirit.rose

Asked by mirit.rose at 1:20 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Pets

• My mom has a Chihuahua and told me that all of them will run away if they can get loose outside. Be careful not to let her run out an open door.
    Very strange but did you know that they're rodents and not really dogs?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on May. 12, 2009

• If you train them right they won't run away, and they ARE NOT rodents.
    Their really needy, I have a half chi/half rat terrier, and he's spoiled rotten.

Anon, your a moron.

LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 1:55 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Congratulations on you new little friend! I'd thought all chihuahua's were nervous and frightened until a couple weeks ago someone brought one into the place where I work. I went over to admire and smile but didn't want to get too close or to touch because I didn't want to overwhelm the little tyke with all the strangers looming around. Turns out she ate up all the attention and loved everybody, it was so cool!

Answer by Bmat at 10:50 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Watch her little limbs around the kids because they are extremely fragile ! They can be extremely strong willed I had an applehead that I had to give away when my husband and I first moved in together and my uncles son accidently stepped on the poor ( he was only 1 and a half I think , the son ) and it broke his poor little foot and leg. Hes was a tea cup chi not more than maybe 2-3 lbs. Do you still have you other puppies too ? Also because of its short nose they tend to wheeze, sneeze and snore, also prone to slipped stifle, gum problems, colds , stress and rheumatisim. and some have molera so check its head for a soft spot .
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 10:56 AM on May. 12, 2009

• "Very strange but did you know that they're rodents and not really dogs? "

I am sorry I just had to LOL at this statement that is the most uneducated thing I have ever heard!!! LOL

I have 2 chihuahua mix pups and they are such fun, great personalities, easy to train, enjoyable to be around. They are nearly 11months and it did take a bit more time to house train them then with other dogs I have had, but I dont know that that is attributed to the chihuahua in them. Have fun and enjoy your little guy I wouldnt trade mine for the world
    wyldreams

Answer by wyldreams at 12:24 PM on May. 12, 2009

• "Very strange but did you know that they're rodents and not really dogs?"

LOL!!! I have a feeling the poster knows they are dogs, but doesn't care for them.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:45 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I have a chihuahua and he's wonderful but aside from the ear and eye infections (which we have had to deal with a little bit) he also has really bad allergies and if they aren't caught in time they can cause infections really easily. We didn't realize he was having trouble one time. He didn't show any symptoms of being sick but one day he wouldn't come near either of us on his own. We took him to the vet and he had an infection in his lungs. So listen to their breathing because they can have problems with that sometimes too. So far we haven't had any problems that an antibiotic or a steroid shot didn't fix right up.
    bekfish84

Answer by bekfish84 at 5:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• they are proan to asthma...
    LBAKER032307

Answer by LBAKER032307 at 8:29 PM on May. 12, 2009

• They dont eat very much . So dont try to over feed them can make them sick. Very loving and love attention . If you see them drag theyre butt across the carpet from time too time and you know they have been fully dewormed it doesnt mean they have worms they have a gland in theyre anus and you can take them too a vet and they will pop them for you and it will solve that particular problem . Its caused by allergies . They are pretty good dogs . I had one . But I love large dogs.
    Anonymous

• I have 2 chihuahuas and I love them so much..My little female (Sophia) thinks she is the princess of the house, but we kinda treat her like that as well. I wouldnt give anything for mine. Sophia does have asthma. My other chihuahua is Max our little man lol. They both get along great with our kids. And yes i agree you do need to watch kids because they are fragile. Both mine are around 4lbs.
    proudmomma578

Answer by proudmomma578 at 7:26 PM on May. 30, 2009