Freezing breast milk

Hello,
I have read different things about how long breast milks stays fresh when frozen and being stored in the "regular" freezer. Originally I read up to 2 weeks, but then also read it can be longer. Anyone know the actual length it can be saved when frozen?

Also, can it be frozen safely in bottles or does it need to be in bags or other containers?

And.. :) can it be frozen after being in the fridge for a few days?

Thanks!
:)

KellyJC

Asked by KellyJC at 3:28 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are great guidelines on kellymom.com. It can stay MONTHS in the freezer...how many dpends on the type of freeze.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:32 AM on May. 12, 2009

• As long as it is in the back of the freezer, 2-3 mo. is the typical answer. You don't want to store it on the door because every time the door opens, it'll defrost slightly. You can freeze in bottles, just make sure you leave expansion room otherwise your bottles will break. Yes, you can freeze after it has been in the fridge for a couple of days....my rule was to freeze any unused breastmilk within 48 hours so that if I used it within 24 once I defrosted it, I was still good.

Good for you for breast feeding! All the best!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:33 AM on May. 12, 2009

• 3 months in a regular freezer.
    You CAN store in bottles, but it's better to store in bags and after it's thawed store in bottles.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:22 AM on May. 12, 2009