My son needs braces....

My son needs braces, but at this time we can't afford the 1000 down payment... and we weren't able to get financed. Does anyone have any suggestions?? He needs them pretty badly. If we get them on now, he's still going to have to wear them until he's at least 18. So it's one of those better to do it sooner than later. Thanks or any advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Keep looking and maybe try to find the nearest dental college. When mine had to get braces, we made two consultation appointments and went with the one who had the lowest down payment for a variety of reasons. The downside to the lower down payment was that we have higher monthly payments. Also, his orthodontist started a series of "getting aquainted" appointments. They let me pay the down payment in 3 installments and had my ds come in for 3 visits just to get comfortable with being there.

Also, the higher down payment orthodontist proposed a plan of treatment that included head gear (which my boy would have fought tooth and nail) that would require 3 years of braces whereas the orthodontist we chose offered the option of two years brace with a herbst appliance instead of head gear.

Good luck!
    ThatTXMom

Answer by ThatTXMom at 8:11 AM on May. 12, 2009

• yep keep looking. My oldest's had braces and we did payments of 85 a month until paid off which was when they were removed. We did have a downpayment but I 'm not sure how much.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:58 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Most ortho offices let you do the payments. They didnt check anything on us, they just said, okay we will make payments of $166 for 30 mos. They took them off at 26 mos but I still had a balance of $700, so I paid it with my flex card. I would keep looking until you find someone who will do payments. They are out there.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:08 AM on May. 12, 2009

• You know they do not have to have braces NOW or it would be too late... Fact is they would have to wear the braces shorter if they waited until they were near adult age for reasons due because...

One as teens they are still growing and they are still growing new teeth their mouth is still growing as well. My daughter has been in braces since grade school and I refused to listen to the dentist, he wanted us to wait, well now I know why. Now she has to continue to wear the wire behind her teeth until she she is nearly 16 possibly 17 depending on her growth and her mouth growing, because they do not want her teeth adjusting and moving while she is still growing all her molars and wisdom teeth and so forth and that does make sense, you invest so much its not worth risking to have the wire taken out. I do agree keep looking for options, you may have some success.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 10:03 AM on May. 12, 2009

• thefriskykitty: I had braces in 6th grade and had them off in 9th, my teeth are perfectly straight. The longer you wait to get them on , the longer the treatment. You want braces when the child is still growing so teeth grow in straight. I have talked to numerous orthos and they all say the same thing, the best time to get braces is between 11-13 years old.

To the OP: keep looking, many orthos will just make payment arrangements with you, some with no downpayments. Good luck!! My sons braces are going to cost between $3000-5000 dollars. His teeth are horrible and we will be having oral surgery to remove the last 4 teeth he has that are impacted so his teeth all come in and shift. Braces should be on in 6-12 months. I will need a second job just to pay for braces.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:39 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Insurance. If he really needs them, and if you really want him to get them, find a new or second job with dental insurance.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 7:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I would also keep looking. When I went to the ortho with my older son, I felt like I was buying a car. It seemed like high pressure sales! I asked a few other Moms with older kids and got the name of a great local ortho. He was half the price, did great work, and his payment schedule was pretty reasonable. You may want to ask your dentist for some names. Also, the health room nurse or counselor at school may know someone who can work with your situation. I feel pretty sure you are not the only one out there that needs some flexibility in finances.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 7:42 PM on May. 12, 2009

• tyfry, I hate to break your bubbles but apparently your teeth didnt require that much alignment? My daughter had braces to correct her over bite and other issues according to the poster it didn't sound like a cosmetic to make the teeth more PERFECT but to seriously align and fix teeth that are seriously crooked or what not. Certain issues with correction of teeth with certain issues yes, they like to keep the braces on LONGER if they have them put in YOUNGER for reasons that they must spread out all the teeth, not just a few. So yes I am still correct, and your condition was probably minor which may make you correct.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 1:47 AM on May. 13, 2009

• look for a place that will let you do payments...slowly overtime...or get insurance. I dont think braces are a Necessity for anyone its just another cosmetic thing that has to do with looks im not getting braces on until im atleast 18! So i feel no sympathy
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 4:57 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I say hes lucky to get them at all
    hug4akiss