How much is enough fluid intake?

My son just turned a year a week ago. I decided to completely take away the bottles and just offer the sippy cups. I tried weaning him.. just taking away a bottle at a time, but it seemed like he demanded them more. That, and my son is a character! He would never hold his own bottle, but would hold his sippy cup. Now, he isn't taking in much fluids, whether its juice, water or milk.. but I do offer calicium in other forms throughout the day. He's gotten a little better over the past few days, has anyone else experienced this?? And how much is still "okay"...??

Thanks for the positive feedback mommys!

cincodemayomom

Asked by cincodemayomom at 4:07 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They should have about 24oz. per day - 1oz. for every hour of the day. They can have 4-6oz. of juice per day, 12-16oz. of milk/dairy per day, and the rest ideally should be water.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:09 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I agree with the 24 oz per day but I'd skip the juice until he's drinking milk/water better since their better for him. Kids get a fair amount of fluids from fruit, veggies, etc so most likely he's doing just fine. As long as he's eating ok otherwise and is behaving ok (i.e. he isn't lethargic, etc), he's probably getting enough fluilds.
    Anonymous