cold or allergies??...

my month 1/2 old daughter seems to sound congested... not horribly but when i suction her, it seems so far back. Also she sneezes alot... i mean alot...she doesnt have a temp tho.... what could this be?... she is eating fine... doesnt throw up or nething...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• also, she seems to be fussier at night .....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:26 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My 7 month old is going through the same thing right now. At first I thought it was a head cold but there didn't seem to be any sore throat symptoms. He just seems to have a runny/congested nose and sneezing occasionally throughout the day. I'm putting it on allergies until I can get him in to the doctor. But chances are with no fever, loss of appetite or other cold/flu symptoms it may just be allergies. Pollen is really high right now in our area, so if it persists or seems to get worse I would take baby to the doc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I have noticed that my almost 3 month old sounds congested at times when he crys. I am going to be taking him to the peds if it doesn't stop in the next couple of days. I have been battleing a cold and now I have larynegitis and can't talk above a wisper. If I was you I would atleast call peds and ask what you should do 9 out 10 they will say to bring them in to get looked at.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Half a month or 1-2 month old?

If the baby is only 2 weeks old, it may still be congestion from being born. It can last a few weeks.

If you're baby is 1-2 months old, it's probably just a little cold. Sneezing doesn't always mean a cold nor does it mean allergies. It also could be a tickle...or a combination.

If you can't see the snot, don't suction. All you're doing is creating irritation to her nasal passages, causing swelling and making it more difficult for her to breathe.

Use a saline nose drop to help loosen it up.
    Keep her head elevated.
    Run a humidifier (steam or cool mist which ever works better)
    Steam in the bathroom once or twice a day to help loosen it up.
    Suction only as needed.
    Tylenol (dosage by weight) for discomfort.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:18 AM on May. 12, 2009

• If I'm not mistaken, I believe allergies take a little while to present themselves. I agree with the above post, that it's probably a little cold. Cool mist is good, and don't suction if you don't see snot.
    Mandarina23

Answer by Mandarina23 at 10:56 AM on May. 12, 2009