No shows to teach government?

Why are there never learning shows about government? I just noticed this morning. There are so many teaching shows these days... and they work with really basic stuff but some of it gets pretty complicated too- even at a very young level. They teach preschoolers about complicated issues like protecting the earth or animal science... But there are NO episodes on government. Why is this?

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 8:07 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Entertainment

• I have no idea. Perhaps because it's so confusing.

I loved the Schoolhouse Rock songs as a kid and I recently found all 40-something songs on one DVD on eBay. I purchased it for my kids. It has songs about government, science, grammar, math, money, and more.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:31 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Martha Speaks on PBS kids has a good episode about election. I know it is not a show but I LOVE this website- Ben's Guide. It is mainly for grade school kids but you can still take some of the concepts and make it age appropriate for younger children. The U.S. Mint has several games and activities that teaches about the history of our government. But you do have a very good question though.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:24 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Okay, I looked at the Kindergarten standards for Government for Georgia and Ohio and this is what I found. Government- What this means: Understanding why government is necessary and how it works. • Identify authority figures in the home, school and community (e.g., parent/guardian, principal or teacher, police officer). • Recognize symbols of the United States including the national flag and the Pledge of Allegiance. • Be able to tell the purpose for having rules and how they provide order, security and safety in the home, school and community. Check your understanding: Importance of Rules Talk about rules with your child, including traffic rules and safety rules at the swimming pool or park. Ask what might happen if there were no rules.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:31 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Citizenship Rights and Responsibilities- What this means: Preparing to become active citizens. • Participate and cooperate in classroom activities. • Take personal responsibility to follow directions and rules.

Georgia's standards are very similar so I am not going to post them. So, taking into consideration of what the student's learn about government in Kindergarten, I believe that children's shows do incorporate government into their episodes, it is just that we as adults don't see it that way. They take the very basic steps but I do agree that there are no shows that build upon these basic steps (at least none I have seen do).

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:34 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I hear ya Amy on the standards for entering school... however, the level on which they teach children recycling and the level on which they promote pride in country is a bit off... I guess I find myself wondering where the line is between over doing it and making a borderline brain wash society with pro-government propaganda and instilling a pride in country and sense of civic duty... I find it odd is all. I did see some snippets on Noggin about Obama being the new president. But I think the level on which we educate children about their home country is different than what it was years ago... It just intrigues me :P

Thanks for the sites. I think/hope with DOD schools my kids will get more exposure to these things but until we are stationed on a post, those links will come in very handy! :)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 10:46 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Why do we need another TV show? Seriously, what happened to taking your kid to the library and getting books about the government like I am sure most of our parents did.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 9:35 PM on May. 12, 2009

• OneToughMami, every child has a different way of learning. Some can be read a book and grasp the concept, others have to go out and experience government, and some children actually learn best from a t.v. show. So, it's not about another t.v. show, but rather another resource for learning. I take my son to the library every week. I read to him every night. However, on certain concepts he learns the best from watching an educational t.v. program. I can read every book in the library about government until I am blue in the face, but my son won't understand the concept until he watches a t.v. program or video about it. I was like that as a child too. As a pp mentioned, The School House Rock, was a great resource for learning about several different topics.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:01 AM on May. 13, 2009

• "But I think the level on which we educate children about their home country is different than what it was years ago."

I completely agree with this. History and government have been pushed aside for Language, Math, and Science. In GA, the schools have to spend 3 hours out of the day for Language Arts (Reading, Writing, Phonics, etc). That is half of the day! The rest of the day is spent with 1 hour of math, 1hour of Science, a 30 minute lunch, 30 minutes of Specials ( music, art, p.e., guidance), and finally 30 minutes of History/Government. I strongly believe in the phrase, "Those who don't know about history are doomed to repeat it."
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:07 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Thanks Amy! ITA. I had this long discussion with fil on the way home from ATL. He told me that when he was in HS they had to take a class: Americanism vs Communism. Wth? I don't even remember taking "Government" in HS... it was always Social Studies linked in with history and a tad of government.  All of this got me to thinking about the way in which our children form a foundation and love of our government system.  I don't want to brainwash... but the idea that they push so much aside in forming that basis on which our little ones will learn and love our country is a bit sad.  Look at ANY older movie and the kids depicted there.  They used radio programs even at one point to promote patriotismin the very young.  It's just sad that it doesn't work that way and I kinda wondered if psychology had determined it too early or if society had deemed it unnecessary.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 11:59 AM on May. 13, 2009