cold vs Allergy

How do you tell the difference between the two?? I have never had allergies before and was told as you get older that you can get them. I am 34 and this came out of the blue on Mothers Day...Thanks Moms

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Health

• Sx of allergies: (if it is due to inhalants) are hay fever, including wheezing, runny nose, and watery, itchy eyes.
    A cold is an upper respiratory infection in the nasal passages and throat. Colds begin with a general feeling of achiness and fatigue. The nose maybe stuffy and then begin to run and drip profusely with clear watery discharge. Later, the nasal secretions may become thicker. There may be sneezing, a slight sore throat, mild cough, or low-grade fever.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 9:09 AM on May. 12, 2009

• allergy usually involves more of the sinus headache, congestion, itchy eyes, runny nose, sneezing. whereas a cold will be more of the fever, cough etc..if you recently moved it may be allergies to different pollens in that area that your body is not used to.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:15 AM on May. 12, 2009

• If you sneeze again and again, chances are it's allergy. Although sometimes colds will do that to you, too. When I have a lot of post nasal drip, itchy eyes, but no fever. I figure it's an allergy. When mucus is discolored and thick, I think sinus infection or bronchitis (depending on location) and get it checked.

Answer by Bmat at 8:37 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Allergies can include itchy watery eyes, itchy nose or sneezing, post nasal drip, cough, sinus pressure and headache, or any combination of those things. A cold will typically not include the itchy watery eyes, and often times is accompanied by a fever also.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:50 PM on May. 12, 2009