Am i right or is she right?( About paganism and christianity)

One of my friends and i got into a discussion cuz i told her i didnt belive in all that christaintiy stuff.. and that i was looking into paganism.. she told me that she just got done studying relgions in college and that paganism is a denomitantion of christianity.. I told her no its not... so who is right?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:36 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have never in my life heard that before.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Some Christian traditions come from Paganism. I'm not completely sure, but I think Christianity derived from Paganism.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 8:40 AM on May. 12, 2009

• You are absolutely right! Christians believe in one god, Pagans believe in a god AND a goddess and may worship many gods. Christians would be appalled if they heard paganism as a part of their religion, and vice versa. Christianity DID take many elements of paganism though.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:40 AM on May. 12, 2009

• No, it's not... Christianity is a blanket term for Abrahamic religions, even Judism and Islam fall (very loosely) under that title. However there is an entirely seperate blanket entitled Pagansim. While there are some "chrisitan" sects that have similarities to paganism they aren't truely. They are more of a bridge to both than a member of either... Also Paganism dates back to WAY before Christianity! So, if she wanted to use that argument it would be the other way around, although she's still be wrong, but she'd be closer...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:49 AM on May. 12, 2009

• You should also send her (you should check it out too) to see this...

http://paganspath.com/magik/similar.htm

It compairs a number of religions including Christian, Witchcraft and Muslim... You'll (and she'll) be shocked at how close they really can be...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:53 AM on May. 12, 2009

• No offense to your friend, but in my opinion? She's an idiot, I'm not trying to sound mean. Having wicked cramps and feeling really crappy.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:10 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Pagans are not Christians. Just like Mormons, Jehovahs Witness', Universal Unitarians, Scientologists and others who stray from Gods word are not Christians and are seperate from God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 12, 2009

• To ANON 10:01.....Some of them are using the parts of the Bible that were purposely left out. And some of them do believe in God.
    Truth be told....it's more like Christianity came form Paganism than the other way around.
    So..you need to do some research.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Anon :01 needs to read some more. Like books. Books not being the Bible.

I'm pretty sure the very definition of Paganism is any religion not considered Christian, Muslim or Jewish. So, your friend needs to read the above advice as well.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 10:47 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Have her look at religioustolerance.org
    A lot of Christian traditions did derive from Paganism. Paganism did come first. Have her go to the history channel web site as well.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:49 AM on May. 12, 2009