Does this even help at all?

Crooked president?

Obama Tells Journalists To Stress "Significant" Nature Of Budget Cuts

In remarks on his administration's proposed $17 billion in cuts from the 2010 budget this morning, President Obama was somewhat on the defensive against charges that his cuts don't amount to much considering that next year's total budget amounts to $3.4 trillion.

As Steve Chaggaris noted in Hotsheet's morning bulletin today, the news that the cuts totaled $17 billion "landed with a bit of a thud" in the media. Reporters stressed that the cuts made up "a tiny fraction" of the total budget and that they would be hard to push through; USA Today noted that the "proposed cuts are about one-fiftieth the size of this year's $787 billion economic stimulus package — all of which was added to the deficit."

mustbeGRACE

Asked by mustbeGRACE at 8:49 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• In his remarks today, the president sought to change that tenor of that coverage. He mocked the notion that smaller savings are considered "trivial" in Washington and stressed that "these savings, large and small, add up." And he told journalists directly that they should stress the fact that the cuts are "significant" – a surprisingly direct appeal to reporters concerning which angle they should take in their coverage.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:50 AM on May. 12, 2009

• "It is important, though, for all of you, as you're writing up these stories, to recognize that $17 billion taken out of our discretionary, non-defense budget, as well as portions of our defense budget, are significant," he said. "They mean something." (Here's the White House report on the cuts.) The president is embroiled in a public relations battle over perceptions of his administration's spending against Republicans who have cast him as reckless. Consider this tweet from Sen. John McCain on the cuts: "Obama budget cut of $17 billion is less than 1/2 of 1% of the entire $3.55 trillion FY10 budget - is that change we can believe in?"

mustbeGRACE

• What do you think?

Would he ask reporters to play it up if he didn't expect them to?

Where do we go for "real reporting"? CNN?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:53 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I think most people will be smart enough to figure out if they believe the cuts are large enough. I certainly don't. Although, I also think there is way too much spending going on for things that aren't imperative at this time (dare I mention the swine stink study?). I will say, I don't think this is out of the norm for any public speaker. They always seem to say what they want you to believe, rather than complete and honest truth.  So I guess you can color me not surprised.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:59 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Although the cuts aren't large, wouldn't you agree that a little is better than none?

Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:13 AM on May. 12, 2009

• The cuts are better than nothing, however it's equivalent to saving a penny a day on a $50,000 a year salary. At the end of the year, all you have saved is $3.65. Big whoop.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:23 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes I think any cuts are better than none, but I think the specific issue of this story is him directly telling reporters how to spin the story.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:41 AM on May. 12, 2009

• This is the razzle dazzle of the O-no Administration. While they are claiming budget cuts, they have increased government spending to record levels. Isn't that the same as bait and switch? :o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:53 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Calling the cuts "significant" is a bit of a stretch, especially since he will have to fight his own party to get those cuts in place.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:54 AM on May. 12, 2009

• He should just call his budget cuts "coupons". You have to pay more for the name brand product in order to use your coupon, and results in spending more money overall. But, hey!! You saved 40 cents with the coupon!!
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 9:59 AM on May. 12, 2009