How many times a week do you eat supper at the table with your family?

Yesterday my granddaughter had a friend from school over for supper. No big deal right? This child acted like she had never even sat at a table, had no clue what saying grace was, her napkin was like a foreign object to her. When I spoke directly to her and asked her what part of school did she like the most she stared back like she was in shock that someone spoke to her. When her Mom came to pick her up I made sure she knew that she ate a good supper and that they had dessert. This was her reply "oh, whatever, I just put it on a plate and they eat in front of the TV. If she eats she eats" So I ask, how often does your family eat at the supper table together? Mine is at least 3 times a week. DH rarely is home in time to eat with the kids during the week but Fri-Sun always.

GrnEyedGrandma

Asked by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:06 AM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• We used to eat at the table all of the time. I think that is what part of what is wrong with the kids today . They don't spend enough time with family at the table and discussing their day . Kids need that kind of intamcy now adays, but parents are just to busy with their lives and forget that is important to children.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 11:14 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Every night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on May. 12, 2009

• We eat at together every night at the dinner table. My son is only 1 but I think it's important. Even if we get take out, we bring it home, get plates out and do it just like we made dinner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on May. 12, 2009

• We eat together every night, except when my husband is working nights. We do not eat at the table though, we need to. I need to stop using it for a folding table.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 9:11 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Every night. Also everyone stays seated until all of us finish. No tv, i pod or phones allowed.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 9:11 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I haven't had a table for us to eat at since my son was born, but we're moving at the end of this week and I found an old folding patio that will be our new Kitchen table and we've been practicing eating at it - so far, two dinners and one breakfast and going strong! My son gets to eat at table at school and they've been great about teaching him table manners where I haven't been able to. He also eats at the table at his dad's house. So we're super excited about finally being able to sit down together and eat together and pray together (still working on that one).
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:13 AM on May. 12, 2009

• We eat together every night. Hubby is usually gone, but I make sure my daughters and I sit together and talk about our day, what's going on in school, what book we should read that night. Like Anon about me, if we order take out we still at the table together. It's very important to me. Growing up my dad always watched tv while we would eat dinner and would totally ignore us, and if we tried to talk to him, he would act like he didn't hear us.

Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 9:14 AM on May. 12, 2009

• *above not about. Sorry.
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 9:15 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I would say 4-5 times a week we all sit down together. But my son sits at the table each and everynight...my hubby and I may sit in the living room, which is connected to the dining room while he eats. I cant stand when I see a child with no table manners.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 9:15 AM on May. 12, 2009

• we eat at the table 3 or 4 nights a week, and when we do the tv gets turned off and phones do not get answered (unless my husband happens to call then while he is deployed). otherwise we usually sit in the living room and eat there, thurs and sun night my dad comes to see my brother and their tradition is to order pizza for survivor and chinese for amazing race so he orders dinner and we watch those shows and my daughter will sit w/grandpa.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:26 AM on May. 12, 2009