what would you have done? & is this a REAL ACCEPTABLE excuse?

so my daughter had a dr's apt yesterday...it was really crowded in the 'well child' seating (i didnt want to sit in the sick section because there was someone coughing and sneezing alot) so i take her out the seat and tell my bf to put her seat&my purse in the car to make room so the other kids can play w/the toys on the floor...so as i was leaned down on the floor undoing her belt,i put her diaper bag & my purse on the chair that i was sitting in so this little boy comes in w/his mom and she tells him to go play...he comes over squeezes behind me (there was NOTHING behind me i was right up against the wall)and hops over the chairs and takes my purse and dumps it out!!!i mean all my shit was blocked to where u had to climb the chairs to get my things,so thats what he did,his mother seen him and came over to (i thought appologize) and says "he's autistic" ... um TELL HIM IT WAS WRONG ASSHOLE! ... theres no excuse as to y u wont

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• OMG, I would have really been pissed. Of course we sympathize that the child has a disability but at least correct them. So when the child turns into a teen and do something serious and illegal then I suppose she thinks his disability will get him outta any trouble. She should have said sry too
    kalioop

Answer by kalioop at 10:49 AM on May. 12, 2009

• tell ANY child it was wrong!!! so i flipped out on her , and told her SHE NEEDS to tell her child it wasnt right ... and asked her if a child did that to her stuff what would she do she sadid "expect the parent to correct them" hello why didnt u?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on May. 12, 2009

• To me it doesn't matter if the child has Autism or another disability. They still need to know the difference between right and wrong. Most importantly their disability shouldn't be an excuse for behavior.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 9:21 AM on May. 12, 2009

• i would have expected her to apologize for her son and try to explain to him that it isn't right. all she's doing by using it as an excuse and not correcting him is setting herself up for failure later. autistic or not, there are plenty of autistic children and adults that can function appropriately in society and its b/c their parents taught them how. i would have said something to her but then just moved on
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:21 AM on May. 12, 2009

• She should have told you sry. Just because i kid has some trouble dosnt mean that they are going to be able to get away with everything in their life. Thats crazy. I would have went off on her. He understands go play im sure he can understand her telling him no that was wrong and he should say sry. UGH that makes me mad when people do stuff like that.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:21 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I agree. It doesn't matter you still need to parent and teach your children correctly and he is going to grow up thinking he can do those kinds of things to anyone because she uses that excise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on May. 12, 2009

• excuse*
    Anonymous

• I would have at least wanted an apology from her since she clearly wasn't keeping her eye on him. It would have been nice of her to try and help pick it up. I really can't say much about the kid because he could have been on the rfar end of the spectrum where he just wasn't going to understand. It's not one-size-fits-all so you can't really compare one autistic kid to another.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:23 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Well, from experience, I would have turned to the child, gently taken his hands away and told him no thank you and started putting the stuff back in my purse. I would have expected the parent to come get her child and remove him from the situation, perhaps with a "sorry" or something, but nothing more. I don't know them or their child, so I wouldn't make any requests of them because I don't know their situation. Besides, I prefer gentle communication and not blowing up at people or expecting them to behave as I want them to. But that's just me.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:23 AM on May. 12, 2009

• OOOOh dont even get me started!My little brother is autistic and 17 years old and is in normal classes for the most part we are VERY gratefull for how far he has came.At the age of 4 he did not say a ONE word ,they thought he was deaf luckily he slowly began talking and they relized he was autistic.How ever by the time he was diagnosed he was using utensils properly and was potty trained.My mom pushed him because she had no clue he was "slow" but we are thankful she did because by pushing him he overcame MANY autistic milestones.If you give your child permission to act out the keep saying oh he's autistic.I guarantee my mom would of reached over smacked his hand and then made him clean the mess!Shes setting up a bad future for her child because he will always have an excuse!
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 9:26 AM on May. 12, 2009