Bridezilla's. How do you survive a wedding, with a Bridezilla?

My child is in a relative's wedding next month, and the last few days have surfaced the Bridezilla. What cataclysmic changes can I expect over the next 6 weeks, with this young woman, the last 3 days have just been unbearable.
She went from not talking to us at all to barking orders and giving us lists of things to do. I have just stopped answering her emails and not done anything she has asked other than what we are required to do for the wedding. Like be fitted and show up on time. This is terrible how someone can change overnight over a wedding. I have 3 kids and a home business, I don't have time to help her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• Bridezillas NEED a frying pan to the head. They need a wake up call. It's not the end of the world when things don't go their way but damn if they don't act like it is. The only thing you can do to help is to stand up and refuse the abuse.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:31 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Just do what are and that's it. Just because she is getting married doesn't mean the world and your lives stop for her. She needs to be respectful and if she needs some extra help she needs ask and not demand it.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:30 AM on May. 12, 2009

• just humor her as best you can. its her day and brides tend to get over excited and not realize that no matter how much you plan and set things up to the last minute something will always go wrong at a wedding. if she is really awful, you can just mention to her mother that she is getting a bit demanding on you and your daughter, and you guys are trying to help as much as you can, but that you don't feel that she is being realistic in her expectations. or if you aren't close to her mom, talk to the maid of honor, she can kinda try to help ease the brides tensions etc..since thats the maid of honors job anyways. i've been in a few weddings and found that if you honestly sit the bride down, when shes not stressing, and say hey look i want to help but you're getting a little over the top w/expectations. what exactly is it you want and expect out of me? that i will get a realistic answer that can be done.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:33 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I hope i'm not that way before my wedding.....it's going to be pretty small though. I can't handle all the wedding hype at all, it almost makes me want to elope.

Send her an email, use your kindest friendly words & tell her she's not being very friendly. If you choose your words wisely, it should be fine.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:37 AM on May. 12, 2009

• It's possible that she's in a state of panic over her wedding and she may not realise how bad she's coming across. Try telling her nicely that you're only able to do what you can but if you could do more for her then you'll do it.
    DaffodilFae

Answer by DaffodilFae at 9:43 AM on May. 12, 2009

• If it is just your child involved in her wedding, then you really don't have responsibilities other than getting the child's dress fitted and being there for rehearsals and other events where the child is expected. But you are responsible for these. And if you can't make the fitting when she insists, then tell her that you can't but have arranged the fitting for another time, this will help take some of the pressure off of her rather than have her worry about the fitting. I'd suggest, when she is in your face about something she is demanding that you do that you never agreed to, that you quietly explain that you understand that she has a million things to think about that you understand she is anxious, but that you only have time to handle your child's participation and nothing else.

Answer by Bmat at 9:43 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My best friend in the world turned into a Bridezilla. She yelled, screamed, hit and spit on people. We had her bachelorette party the day before and she got drunk called us all whores and we told her to shove the dresses up her a$$. I called her fiance told him we would not be there he said that was fine he was not going to be there either. She arrived at the church we were not there and then her fiance called and said he was not coming. She went out to tell everyone it was off and only 15 people out of the 300 who RSVP were there. It was sad for her but her own fault. I would not even have my child in this persons wedding. It may be their wedding but I will not allow anyone to be rude, hateful or abusive for their wedding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Being anxious about things can bring out the worst in a person, and being afraid that everything will go wrong will help it to be bad too.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 10:59 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Go talk to her mother. When the MotB planned the wedding Bridezillas didn't exist. it is very stressful for a relatively young girl to plan such a large event. She really needs to focus on herself and let a wedding planner or her mother take care of the details. Don't ignore her e-mails. Let her know that her expectations are unreasonable and that you are only willing to get fitted and show up. That is it! If she needs more than that she needs to find another kid willing to put up with her bad behavior.

Anonymous

• Ok, thanks! My son is in the wedding and his fitting is done and paid for, other than that we just have to show up. But now, it's like we are being asked to pick up stuff, make phone calls, borrowing my vehicle the day of the wedding to transport stuff. Ironing clothes for her honeymoon?? I just found it all really wild, having my son in the wedding would cause me to be a servant for the next 6 weeks.
    Anonymous