When should I tell my mom I want her room?

I'm 14 weeks pregnant. Our current housing arrangement is me and my gma sleep upstairs in our own rooms, and my mom sleeps in the basement in her room. There is an extra bedroom upstairs my 22 year old cousin moved out. I would like to move also but jobs are scarce and I doubt thats happening b4 I have the baby. So I was thinking I should move into my moms room so me and the baby will have privacy and won't be waking up my 71 yr old gma when the baby wakes up. My mom can have the extra bedroom as it has cable and my current room does not. But my mom can be selfish she's slept down there since we've lived in this house I'm 20 we've been here 24 years. I want to tell my gma so we can both talk to her about it at the same time. But when should I say something about it?

T.Mod

Asked by T.Mod at 9:27 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ummm unless you are paying bills and contributing than you can't really tell her you get the room. you can talk to your grandma and ask her her opinion and maybe have your grandma bring it up to your mom as an option. i would say as soon as possible though b/c you don't want to be "moving" when you are about to pop
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:29 AM on May. 12, 2009

• If the house belongs to your mother, then you can suggest any time, but her house means she gets to decide. If it is your grandmother's house, same thing. If you own the house, then you can tell them your decision. It would be considerate and good family policy to sit down together now and talk about the arrangements. Say that you are concerned about the baby disturbing your grandmother, and that you are thinking that your mother might be more comfortable in the extra room. Of course if your mother has what amounts to her own apartment, with privacy and her own bathroom and lots of space, sitting area, perhaps, and especially if she owns the house, then likely she'll not want to move into a single room. If she pays the bills, then she gets first dibs.

Answer by Bmat at 9:32 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Not to sound horrible but be greatful for the room that you've got.

I Lived with my mom when I was pregnant and my mom suggested my sister and I trading rooms (I had a room in the basement, my sister had one upstairs). I would have never thought to ask my mom to trade rooms, and especially not to her room.

But if you really want to ask her, you may as well do it now. As you get farther along and as your belly gets bigger it will be more difficult.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:36 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I would ask soon. When your belly starts to get bigger it will be alot harder to move all of your stuff down there if she is ok with it. But it cant hurt to ask her.And im sure that your grandmother would like if the baby is on the other side of the hosue so she dosnt wake up every time he crys. But just see what happens good luck.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:41 AM on May. 12, 2009

• In addition to the other responces...how close is the extra room to your current room? Would your grandmother have more space if SHE was in the extra room? Or would you? and still be out of earshot? I've done a basement bedroom before and it's not fun living in a room that always looks the same.....in warm weather you and the baby will want an open window and fresh air, sunlight, and the gentle sound of rain....you won't get that in a basement!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:05 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I can see your point about wanting the privacy and not wanting to wake up your 71 yrs old grandma, maybe it would be good to starting talking to her now about making the move when the baby is born, and the reasons why you want to move to her get used to the idea of having to move in the near future.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 10:55 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My mom does NOT pay bills here it's my gma house. My mom is a bit of an alcoholic who has never been able to take care of herself. Our basement isnt completely below ground so there are windows that open and sunshine can come in. If my mother moves upstairs she'll still have her own bathroom. Its just the three of us in a four bedroom three bathroom house. I'm a little scared to say something because my mother can be so very selfish. And its frustrating and my pregnant temper is the WORST.
    T.Mod

Answer by T.Mod at 6:58 PM on May. 12, 2009