You're gonna be a brother!!!

Has anyone done anything special or gotten their older child a gift to congratulate them on becoming a big brother? My son is 4 and I don't want him to feel pushed aside or not important (it's been just me and him for a very long time). I'm looking for a way to make him feel special and just as important when the baby comes. Anyone have any ideas?

TheDiva320

Asked by TheDiva320 at 9:50 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I got my daughter a shirt from cookie baby .com its says Im the princess and the big sister and its personalized with her name and hair color and glasses it great quality and so cute and it was only 17 including shipping she loved it!
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 9:53 AM on May. 12, 2009

• A friend of mine made a "helper basket" for her daughter. It had diapers, wipes, a few bottles and some baby toys that were only for her to use on her baby brother. There was a few things in there for her too.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:56 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My son will turn 4 about a month before baby brother will be born too. I think I'm gonna get him a big brother shirt and maybe we will make something that he can give to the baby or something. I d/k maybe a special picture frame with their picture together in it. I will be taking him to the park and stuff more to play too while his brother sleeps

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 9:59 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My son will be getting one of those shirts as well eventually. I plan on starting to make and sell my own on eBay in the next month or so, right now i'm in the wholesale buying stage =)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:02 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes...my son got a special tshirt "I'm going to be a big brother"...and a book explaining everything. We are having him involved as much as possible. He has an ultrasound picture up in his room, he scanned all of the items on the registry and he named his baby brother. He's 6 and can't wait to be a big brother!!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 10:04 AM on May. 12, 2009

• BTW I LOVE that "helpers basket" idea. I think I will steal it :-)
    NJMom2Tyler

• Make him feel important by letting him help take care of the baby. In other words make him be your go-fur , go-fur the diaper pins or diaper, towel, washcloth, powder, bottle,etc. Make him think that you can't do without his help. That will make him feel very important. i did that with my kids when they were little and the kids became very close as the little one grew up.
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 10:26 AM on May. 12, 2009

• my oldest daughter was 3 almost 4 when I was preg with my 2nd daughter and the only thing we did was told her she was going to be a big sister that I was having a baby and I took her with us to all the appointments and let her see the baby and listen to its heart beat and she was really excited and when I was in the hospital in labor she really couldnt wait for the baby to come out but of course when it was that time my dad took her to the hall until after her sister was born and when she came in and seen her she was soooo happy she made my husband take her to the gift shop to buy something for her sister and she was sooo over protective of her lol...so you might just try that or also try buying him a few things to show him.. I would also let her feel the baby move almost every time it did also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I do sit with him and encourage him to talk to the baby. Which he does all the time. He always says "hi baby this is your brother, I love you!" I also lay down so he can see and feel the baby kick. Which he thinks is the coolest thing in the world. I went for an U/S last Thursday and he saw his brother and was just beyond excited and said it was the coolest. And he got to hear the heartbeat (which he has at every appointment) He looks forward to that. He says he's going to take care of the baby, but he's "not doing diapers.....oh no!!!" LOL!
    Now, I'm having a c-section, and my mom is picking him up the night before. She'll be arriving at the hospital after the c-section, it's ok to wait til then for him to come, right? I'm afraid he'll freak if he knows I'm getting cut open. He worries when I throw up! LOL
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:38 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My son was almost four when his baby sister arrived. We got him an I'M THE BIG BROTHER t-shirt and picked out a special teddy bear for him to give her when she was born. He was so excited to give it to her.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:03 PM on May. 12, 2009